Skip to main content

Homemade Orecchiette

I made this recipe almost as soon as I saw it in Bon Appetit (Orecchiette Carbonara with Charred Brussels Sprouts). Today was the second time I made it (you know I had those extra egg yolks from yesterday's cake). The orecchiette may seem a little fussy to begin with but after you get the hang of it, they are quite easy to make. This time it went much quicker. The video on this page really makes it easy (the actual pasta making process is towards the end of the video). There is also a step by step slide show of how to do it but I think the video is better. I would say the whole dish took about 45 minutes including making the orecchiette (not including 1 hour dough rest). I think making the Brussels Sprouts into "leaves" was more tedious than making the pasta!

 This is the dough while it is resting in plastic wrap.

 Orecchiette done and waiting for the water:

Be careful not to salt the Brussels Sprouts too much because the salt from the pancetta may make the dish a little too salty. Today I made the Brussels Sprouts in the oven. I roasted them for about 10-15 minutes at 400. It was a little easier than doing them in batches on top of the stove but it was another pan to wash - ugh! I think I would stick to the stove top method.

Instead of pancetta this time I used a smoked ham that I got from my friend.  It was a huge ham and I didn't know what to do with it all so I decided to dice it and freeze it on sheet pans (so they would freeze quickly and individually). Once it was frozen I dumped it all into a bag and now I have diced ham for a souffle or omelet or for whatever. Well not quite all of it made it into the bag because one of the times when I was putting the a sheet in-the sheet that was in there came flying out and I had diced ham all over the place (believe me-some major cursing took place). But thankfully enough survived that I have a serious gallon size ziploc bag of ham to make some great dishes with.


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...