Skip to main content

Nothing in the Larder



Well there's nothing left in the freezer except some peeps from Easter. 


Shockingly they are good until 2016 - that's reassuring huh?
This raises a few questions:
  • Why do I keep peeps in the freezer? Well they are delicious frozen.  I don't know why I havent eaten them yet???
  • Why is the freezer empty? because we are getting a new refrigerator. This one is 15 years old and quite frankly it owes us nothing.  Every once it a while it lets out a big sigh. We figured we better replace it before it lets out one last final sigh.
  • Why am I calling it the larder? Well I think of that Simpson's episodes where Moe calls Homer fancy for calling the garage a garage and not a car hole. I know it's not the same but it just makes me laugh and gives me an excuse to find that clip on youtube.




So the delivery is set for the end of the week. We moved everything from the freezer to the downstairs freezer. The only thing that got thrown out was the bones from last year's Thanksgiving turkey - guess I never got around to making that turkey soup huh? All things considered - that is not so bad-only one thing from everything that was stowed in there.

We took off all the magnets - can't believe how many of them we had. Also all of the posts cards. Since the new one is stainless steel, I don't know where we'll be putting future post cards??

Now I have to move on to the refrigerator. Who knows what's lurking in the back! The only thing worse than that will be what's underneath. We haven't cleaned under there in ages.  The refrigerator is really wedged in between the cabinet and the wall. It's really difficult to move so we've honestly probably have only cleaned under there twice that I can remember. The new refrigerator is a shade thinner so we will be able to clean under it more often!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...