Skip to main content

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Ignore that smudge of soup on the edge of the bowl
I had a butternut squash sitting on the counter and some homemade creme fraiche in the fridge. I thought the two would go rather nicely together.

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

1 butternut squash, cut into 1" cubes
3 T olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 sage leaves
4 sprigs thyme
1 celery stalk, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c white wine
3 c stock - either chicken or vegetable
1 c heavy cream
4 T parsley, chopped
salt/pepper
Serve with Toasted pepitas  and Creme Fraiche

Mix squash with 2 T olive oil and salt. Roast in a 400 preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes.

Meanwhile, saute onions, sage, thyme, and salt over a low flame in a dutch oven. Cook for a good 20 minutes so that onions become golden brown (you can add a pinch of sugar to help them along). Add celery and carrots and cook until carrots and celery start to brown - about 10 minutes.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add wine and cook until almost all the wine has cooked off. Add the stock and bring to simmer.

The butternut squash should be starting to brown around the edges by now. Remove from oven and add to the soup. Add heavy cream and bring back to a simmer. Add parsley Remove soup from stove and puree. You can use a stick blender or do it in small batches in a food processor (I prefer the stick blender). Add salt and pepper to taste.  Top off with creme fraiche and pepitas.

Work-wise this was a very efficient soup.  While the butternut squash is cooking, you are making the rest of the soup. If you use the food processor, I think you would get a smoother soup but I like it with a little more texture (it is still pretty smooth). You might also need to add a little additional heavy cream or stock to make the puree a little looser. And since you started your homemade creme fraiche the night before and toasted your pepitas while the soup was cooking, you're all ready to go!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...