Skip to main content

Cranberry Sauce

Getting ready for Thanksgiving can be daunting but there are many things that can be done ahead of time to make life easier and cranberry sauce is one of them. I usually make it up to a week before. It is really easy to make.

Cranberry Sauce

24 oz fresh cranberries
1c brown sugar
1/2 c sugar
juice and zest from 2 oranges
2 cinnamon stick
1 t fresh ginger grated
1 vanilla bean

Split vanilla bean down the center with a sharp knife.  Rinse and discard any soft cranberries.

All ingredients ready to go
Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and heat until cranberries start to burst. Stirring occasionally.
Stir occasionally
Taste and add additional seasoning and sugar as necessary. Cranberries can be quite tart so it really depends on the batch how much sugar needs to be added.
Ready to remove from heat
Let cool. Scrape vanilla bean and stir scrapings into sauce. Return bean to sauce. Chill. Remove vanilla bean and cinnamon before serving.  You might want to add a little dried cinnamon at this point. Taste and see if it is needed. The taste changes as the flavors meld together.
As it cools, it will thicken

All ready for Thanksgiving
See that wasn't so difficult. I couldn't find the cranberries in a 16oz package - yet another item that they've changed the size but kept the price the same. So I had to change the recipe up from past years. Most recipes use just white sugar but I like the extra flavor that the brown sugar adds.

So now you have your turkey stock ready in the freezer.

Your butter is all ready...
for the homemade rolls (that I can't find the recipe for-ERRGH!).

All ready to go with the easy garlic mashed potatoes too.

Your apple tart ingredients are ready to go for dessert too.

All you need is a side dish, the stuffing, and the turkey...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

Mensa Member?

I think Mickey is a member of Mensa. We heard him last night but could not determine where he was in the kitchen (or should I say the Sous Chef could not locate him - I certainly was not looking). He had been lurking in the toaster cabinet the night before and averted the glue trap. This is absolute torture. Still no cooking going on.