Skip to main content

Quick Sourdough Biscuits

I'm always on the prowl for sourdough whatever, since Bertha is always hanging around looking for something to do.  I found this in my "to try" recipe file. At the bottom of the recipe it says The Culinary Products Group South San Francisco CA - who knows where I got it from. A quick search on the webbie-web and nothing.  Maybe it was from a previous sourdough starter? The recipe uses "proofed" sourdough batter, which I thought was an interesting take on things. While this is not the recipe that I was looking for, it is a keeper.

Quick Sourdough Biscuits

2 c proofed sourdough batter (see below)
2 3/4 c flour
1 T baking powder
1 t sugar
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/4 c butter (1/2 stick)
1/3 c milk
2 T melted butter

To proof sourdough starter:
The night before take 1 cup of sourdough batter and add 1/2 c water. Stir in 1 c flour. Set aside for 8-12 hours. Feed the starter as usual.

Your proofed sourdough should be nice and puffy now. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut 1/4 c of softened butter into the dry ingredients until it looks like cornmeal. Stir in milk and sourdough batter. Mix well until dough ball forms. Knead gently on floured surface to pull the dough together.

Roll dough out to about 1/2 inch thick. Using a cutter cut into circles. Place on baking sheet (I used my silpat but it is not necessary). Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.

Brushed with butter and ready for the oven
Brush tops of biscuits with melted butter and bake at 400 for about 15 minutes until golden brown.


They are pretty quick since you are proofing the batter overnight. These are not your typical biscuits.  They are a little crusty because they are sourdough. Quite different and quite delicious. However, you need to eat them all - they weren't as good on the second day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

Mensa Member?

I think Mickey is a member of Mensa. We heard him last night but could not determine where he was in the kitchen (or should I say the Sous Chef could not locate him - I certainly was not looking). He had been lurking in the toaster cabinet the night before and averted the glue trap. This is absolute torture. Still no cooking going on.