Skip to main content

Crispy Cod Pistou

I know we do not eat enough fish and I always try to incorporate fish into our meals.  It is difficult (now that I'm working again). Fish is really an ideal weeknight meal - it cooks fast and requires minimal prep.  But the reality is I like to buy fresh which means, in my mind, that I have to cook it that day. The thought of coming home buying fish and then cooking it just negates the ideal weeknight meal concept.

You might be asking what the heck Pistou is? It's basically pesto without the pine nuts. It is often used with pasta, as a spread on bread, or in soup.

Crispy Cod Pistou

1lb cod
1/2 c flour (preferably Wondra)
salt/pepper
1 egg
1 T water
1 c panko

Pistou
1 c fresh basil
1/4 c Parmesan Cheese
juice and zest of 1 lime
salt/pepper
3 garlic cloves
1T olive oil

Season flour with salt and pepper in a shallow dish.  Beat egg and water in another shallow dish.  Put panko in yet another shallow dish. Cut fish into two pieces* Dip fish into flour mixture.  Shake off excess flour. Dip in egg mixture and lastly into panko.  Place on foil covered shallow baking sheet.  (I'm all for the easy clean up). Bake at 400 for about 10 minutes or until fish is flakey.

Meanwhile prepare Pistou.  Put all the ingredients in a food processor.  Pulse until mixture is combined. When fish is cooked, serve with Pistou on top.

*Depending on the size and thickness of fish you may need to cut it into more pieces.  One piece of my fish was very thin.  I breaded the whole fish and then tucked it underneath to double it up so that it was the same thickness as the rest of the fish and would cook evenly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

Mensa Member?

I think Mickey is a member of Mensa. We heard him last night but could not determine where he was in the kitchen (or should I say the Sous Chef could not locate him - I certainly was not looking). He had been lurking in the toaster cabinet the night before and averted the glue trap. This is absolute torture. Still no cooking going on.