Skip to main content

Austin Food Report

I went to Austin for a conference. I was very excited to go because of the food aspect (well OK I learned a bunch of stuff at the conference too). I had tried to scope out some places before I went but it was difficult to narrow the options. So I just decided to wing it.

We started out at Moonshine Grill. I had a pimento cheese burger on a nice brioche-style bun. It was excellent. The roasted Brussels Sprouts just fully rounded out the meal. There was no room for dessert.

I don't really drink wine - so what was I doing in a wine bar - for the cheese of course. Cru Wine Bar had wonderful choices of cheese platter - 4 in total. I had a difficult time choosing. I opted for the Sinful Experience. Mt Tam cheese from the Cowgirl Creamery (which I had read really good things about), Ribiola and a Delice de Jura. All soft, ooey, gooey cheeses. Very tasty. Served with grapes, honey, bread, and sliced apple and pear. A nice Belgium beer rounded it all out.

Next on the list was La Traviata (couldn't find their website but found this instead).  I had the ravioli in a lovely cream sauce. Again no room for dessert (I know I'm such a light weight).

I've saved the best for last - which was actually the last night I was in Austin. Fixe - so named because you will need your "fix" and come back. Well I must say I'm addicted. Since I picked up a fellow foodie along the way - we shared two appetizers - the oysters and Carnivore grits. The oysters were delicious - with a little fried zucchini? and almond gazpacho.

The Carnivore grits came with quail and mascarpone cheese - need I say more. We actually started out with the biscuits that were so light and fluffy I can only aspire to make such a great biscuit. They were served with a sausage spread and blueberry preserves. It was a great sweet/savory contrast.

I had the grouper that was stuffed with crab, pickled garlic with lardo over the top in a veloute sauce.


This time there was room for dessert. Based on the other food I knew I had to squeeze that dessert in no matter what. Since we were once again indecisive on the dessert - we shared the Sticky Toffee cake (with soft cheese and ice cream) and the Zucchini tres leche.
Sticky Toffee Cake
That's not a sailboat - it's a meringue 
We also stopped at Amy's ice cream in the airport - Belgium chocolate with hot fudge. How could you possibly go wrong?? I left Austin with a very full belly and a good taste in my mouth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomato Risotto

Want to build up those arm muscles.  There is no better way than to do up a good risotto. You will get tired of stirring but it is oh so worth it. Tomato Risotto 1 onion, chopped olive oil 2 clove garlic, minced 1 1/2 c Aborio Rice 1/2 c white wine 4 medium-sized tomatoes, peeled about 1 cup warm vegetable stock (may need additional) 1 t fresh oregano 1 T fresh torn basil 2 T fresh parsley salt/pepper Parmesan cheese In a dutch oven, saute chopped onion in olive oil.  Add a little salt to help the onions along.  Meanwhile prep the tomatoes. Squeeze tomatoes gently just to rid them of the seeds. You do not need to get rid of all the liquid. Chop the tomatoes into large cubes. Cook onions until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add rice and saute for a few minutes until the rice smells toasted. Gradually add white wine and stir until almost all of the wine is absorbed. Add tomatoes to the rice. Add the oregano and basil. Stirring constantly until a

New Kid on the Block

So here's a picture of the new kid on the block. Ain't she a beauty? It's a Blomberg . They are fairly new to the US. They have been around in Europe for quite a while. I really liked the design. I've been dying to have a freezer on the bottom. With the old refrigerator I would constantly lose brain cells by hitting my head on the freezer will poking around in the refrigerator. It really makes sense to have the refrigerator on top - that is where you spend most of your time. When we bought the old one, it was an emergency situation. The prior one was leaking on the floor and was no longer cooling. Fifteen years ago the freezer on the bottom was just starting to get popular but we were in no situation to wait for delivery. We had to take what they had on hand. Now the freezer on the bottom is by no means unique. What is - is this freezer's design. There are 3 compartments in the freezer. I used to have a chest freezer in the basement and everything would get los

Go Gadget Go

Don't you just love a good gadget? I love one that is functional - usually with several functions as a matter of fact.  I don't really like a one-trick pony type of gadgets.  I like multi-taskers. Sometimes you have to settle for a one-trick pony and that's OK. Sorry I couldn't resist - the girls always loved Inspector gadget when they were young. I especially love the intro! My Mom's friend is moving and she's been clearing out her kitchen.  She knows that I'm a big kitchen person so she gave me a bunch of things that she thought I might put to good use (Thanks Terri).  She's given me some pretty nice things in the past too. She's given me some cake-decorating tools, some copper molds, cookie cutters, spritz cookie gun, etc. Here's what I got this time around: I'm excited about the two spatulas.  The one is really flexible. I already have the mini spatula (from Pampered Chef ) and love it. Sometimes though when lifting things