Skip to main content

Austin Food Report

I went to Austin for a conference. I was very excited to go because of the food aspect (well OK I learned a bunch of stuff at the conference too). I had tried to scope out some places before I went but it was difficult to narrow the options. So I just decided to wing it.

We started out at Moonshine Grill. I had a pimento cheese burger on a nice brioche-style bun. It was excellent. The roasted Brussels Sprouts just fully rounded out the meal. There was no room for dessert.

I don't really drink wine - so what was I doing in a wine bar - for the cheese of course. Cru Wine Bar had wonderful choices of cheese platter - 4 in total. I had a difficult time choosing. I opted for the Sinful Experience. Mt Tam cheese from the Cowgirl Creamery (which I had read really good things about), Ribiola and a Delice de Jura. All soft, ooey, gooey cheeses. Very tasty. Served with grapes, honey, bread, and sliced apple and pear. A nice Belgium beer rounded it all out.

Next on the list was La Traviata (couldn't find their website but found this instead).  I had the ravioli in a lovely cream sauce. Again no room for dessert (I know I'm such a light weight).

I've saved the best for last - which was actually the last night I was in Austin. Fixe - so named because you will need your "fix" and come back. Well I must say I'm addicted. Since I picked up a fellow foodie along the way - we shared two appetizers - the oysters and Carnivore grits. The oysters were delicious - with a little fried zucchini? and almond gazpacho.

The Carnivore grits came with quail and mascarpone cheese - need I say more. We actually started out with the biscuits that were so light and fluffy I can only aspire to make such a great biscuit. They were served with a sausage spread and blueberry preserves. It was a great sweet/savory contrast.

I had the grouper that was stuffed with crab, pickled garlic with lardo over the top in a veloute sauce.


This time there was room for dessert. Based on the other food I knew I had to squeeze that dessert in no matter what. Since we were once again indecisive on the dessert - we shared the Sticky Toffee cake (with soft cheese and ice cream) and the Zucchini tres leche.
Sticky Toffee Cake
That's not a sailboat - it's a meringue 
We also stopped at Amy's ice cream in the airport - Belgium chocolate with hot fudge. How could you possibly go wrong?? I left Austin with a very full belly and a good taste in my mouth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

Mensa Member?

I think Mickey is a member of Mensa. We heard him last night but could not determine where he was in the kitchen (or should I say the Sous Chef could not locate him - I certainly was not looking). He had been lurking in the toaster cabinet the night before and averted the glue trap. This is absolute torture. Still no cooking going on.