Skip to main content

Worcestershire Sauce


A while ago I mentioned that I made my own Worcestershire sauce (why do I always want to put another 'h' in there?? will I ever learn how to spell it?).  Well I was out of it and needed to cook up another batch. So here goes...

Worcestershire Sauce (Adapted from Make the Bread, Buy the Butter)

3 T olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
1T kosher salt
1 serrano chile (chopped)
2 T garlic, minced
1 t pepper
4 oz anchioves
1/4 t cloves, ground
1 lemon, peel and removed
2 c dark corn syrup
1 c molasses
4 c white vinegar
2 heaping T horseradish

Cook onions in olive oil with the salt until caramelized - about 15-20 minutes. Add serrano and garlic and cook for a 1 minute or two. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 6 hours. Stir occasionally. The sauce should be thickened and coat the back of a spoon. Strain through a mesh strainer and let cool. Bottle it up and away you go.
At the start
At the finish
Yes it's lot of ingredients but it makes a huge batch - enough to share. Besides it keeps forever in the refrigerator. I lightened up on the horseradish in the recipe here - it tasted like too much on the back end with 1/4 c originally called for.  I had to add extra anchovies, corn syrup, and molasses to counteract the horseradish. This time I used the jarred horseradish, last time I used fresh - maybe that is why? It turned out fine in the end after the adjustments. It really is quite an easy thing to make; you just really need to have a chunk of 6 hours to make it. Most of the ingredients you probably have in the pantry already.

Comments