Skip to main content

Knishes

You know how sometimes you get something in your head and you just have to have it. The eldest planted knishes in my brain and I had to make them. I haven't made them in ages. Summer is not necessarily the ideal time for knishes, but tell that to my brain. There's boiling and baking involved so try to find a cool-ish day.
Knishes (Adapted from Cooking Light - from so long ago it's not even on their website!)

Filling
3 c peeled baking potatoes, cut into 1" cubes (about 2 large)
1/3 c chicken broth
salt/pepper
1 1/2 c finely chopped onion
olive oil

Dough
2 1/3 c flour
1 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/2 c yogurt (or sour cream)
4T water
1 egg
2 T butter, melted

Egg wash
1 egg
1 T water

Prepare Filling:
Boil potatoes in water until tender - about 15 minutes. Mash in chicken broth and salt/pepper. While potatoes are boiling saute onions with olive oil and salt in a frying pan until just starting to turn golden brown (the longer the better flavor but uglier color). Mix onions into mashed potatoes and set aside.
Roll out to 5" squares

Prepare Dough:
Place flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Whisk together. Create a well in the center, and add remaining ingredients. Mix together until dough forms. Turn out on board and knead until smooth and elastic. You might need to add additional flour to prevent sticking but the dough should be a little sticky. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Divide dough into 16 portions. Cover dough that you are not working with. Take one portion of dough and roll out to a 5" square. Fill with 1/4 c of filling. Pinch seams and place seam-side down on greased baking sheet (or Silpat) and cover. Repeat with remaining dough.  Make a cut in each knish. Whisk water and egg. Brush each knish with egg wash. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Pre-bake

Post B

These are simple knishes. There are variations. You could add sauteed spinach (water squeezed out) or dare I say some chopped bacon. I also see nothing wrong with adding a little milk or buttermilk to the potato filling instead of chicken broth. Some sour cream or cream cheese might also be nice added to the potatoes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...