Skip to main content

Braised Short Ribs


I was once again cruising around for a nice rib-sticking recipe for short ribs. A braise usually fits in well with rib-sticking so that's what I was looking for. I thought about Sous Vide but most of the recipes involved 24 hours. I might try that another time but I was looking for something for dinner that night. The recipe amounts for were not really specific for this recipe so I went with my own ideas.

Braised Short Ribs (Adapted from BonAppetit)

1T canola oil
3lbs English cut beef short ribs
salt/pepper
4 carrots, cut in rounds
1 onion, cut in chunks
2 cloves garlic, minced
28oz can whole tomatoes
2 T tomato paste
Red wine (about 2 cups)
1lb pasta - wide such as fetuccine or pappardelle
Parmesan Cheese

Heat a large dutch oven. Salt and pepper the ribs on both sides (be generous with the salt). Add oil to dutch oven until it shimmers. Brown all sides of ribs. Remove and set aside. Add carrots and onions and cook until brown. Add garlic saute for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add tomato paste and cook until turns slightly brown. Break tomatoes into small pieces (your hands do a great job of this). Add to dutch oven.  Return ribs to pan and add enough wine to cover meat. Place lid on dutch oven and put in a 350 oven for 2 1/2 - 3 hours or until meat is tender and falls off bone. While pasta is cooking, remove meat from dutch oven and shred. Strain sauce. Add shredded meat back to the sauce. Toss in cooked pasta and add Parmesan cheese.

First I had to figure out if I had English style short ribs - the answer was yes. English style are short thick pieces of rib. Flanken style are long, flat, and you will see a cross-section of 3 to 4 ribs. Here's a picture. 

This is one of the best dishes I have made. My mouth is just watering thinking about it. I can't wait until I make this again. It really did not involve too much labor, it was more time intensive. Even the labor that was involved was pretty simple labor. Probably the most difficult part was shredding the meat.

I used homemade fresh pasta. I had the pasta rolled out to sheets and then just cut them into wide pieces. But by all means, feel free to used store-bought but make sure it is good quality. Enjoy (and believe me this is one you definitely will enjoy).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomato Risotto

Want to build up those arm muscles.  There is no better way than to do up a good risotto. You will get tired of stirring but it is oh so worth it. Tomato Risotto 1 onion, chopped olive oil 2 clove garlic, minced 1 1/2 c Aborio Rice 1/2 c white wine 4 medium-sized tomatoes, peeled about 1 cup warm vegetable stock (may need additional) 1 t fresh oregano 1 T fresh torn basil 2 T fresh parsley salt/pepper Parmesan cheese In a dutch oven, saute chopped onion in olive oil.  Add a little salt to help the onions along.  Meanwhile prep the tomatoes. Squeeze tomatoes gently just to rid them of the seeds. You do not need to get rid of all the liquid. Chop the tomatoes into large cubes. Cook onions until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add rice and saute for a few minutes until the rice smells toasted. Gradually add white wine and stir until almost all of the wine is absorbed. Add tomatoes to the rice. Add the oregano and basil. Stirring constantly until a

New Kid on the Block

So here's a picture of the new kid on the block. Ain't she a beauty? It's a Blomberg . They are fairly new to the US. They have been around in Europe for quite a while. I really liked the design. I've been dying to have a freezer on the bottom. With the old refrigerator I would constantly lose brain cells by hitting my head on the freezer will poking around in the refrigerator. It really makes sense to have the refrigerator on top - that is where you spend most of your time. When we bought the old one, it was an emergency situation. The prior one was leaking on the floor and was no longer cooling. Fifteen years ago the freezer on the bottom was just starting to get popular but we were in no situation to wait for delivery. We had to take what they had on hand. Now the freezer on the bottom is by no means unique. What is - is this freezer's design. There are 3 compartments in the freezer. I used to have a chest freezer in the basement and everything would get los

Go Gadget Go

Don't you just love a good gadget? I love one that is functional - usually with several functions as a matter of fact.  I don't really like a one-trick pony type of gadgets.  I like multi-taskers. Sometimes you have to settle for a one-trick pony and that's OK. Sorry I couldn't resist - the girls always loved Inspector gadget when they were young. I especially love the intro! My Mom's friend is moving and she's been clearing out her kitchen.  She knows that I'm a big kitchen person so she gave me a bunch of things that she thought I might put to good use (Thanks Terri).  She's given me some pretty nice things in the past too. She's given me some cake-decorating tools, some copper molds, cookie cutters, spritz cookie gun, etc. Here's what I got this time around: I'm excited about the two spatulas.  The one is really flexible. I already have the mini spatula (from Pampered Chef ) and love it. Sometimes though when lifting things