Skip to main content

Overnight Oats


Yeah, I know I'm a little late to the party on this one. I thought it was just another one of those fad things (I'm talking to you #putaneggonit). However, I found that I do actually like this - such is the way of avocado toast. So here goes my compilation of overnight oats recipes:

Overnight Oats (Adapted from everywhere - where haven't I been?)

2/3 c milk (soy, cow, almond - your choice)
1T maple syrup
1/4 t vanilla
1/4 t cinnamon
1/2 c rolled oats
1/4 c raisins, cranberries, or other dried fruit
1t chia seeds
1t flaxseed
pinch of salt

Mix milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon in your hipster jar*. Add the remaining ingredients and mix. Screw lid on and refrigerate overnight.

I thought I was not going to like the oats cold but they were actually rather nice and I think they would be great on a hot summer morning. Although in the cold winter, I do think there might be a slight heating to take the chill off happening.

So yes I guess I see more overnight oats in my future - unless I forget to make them the night before ;-) I do see much variation - I do want to try this with brown sugar (my fave). I have visions of chocolate (because why not??!). I have aspirations of bananas and fresh strawberries or blueberries (or why not all 3!). Well you get the idea.

*in true hipster fashion, you can just put the lid on and shake

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...