Skip to main content

Spanish Garlic Soup


I know I've been neglectful again. I haven't been posting, but I have been cooking. I saw this recipe made on the new Milk Street PBS show by Jose Andres. He said there was really no recipe, you just sort of put the ingredients together. Milk Street, of course, made a recipe loosely based on this.  Christopher's sidekick said paprika very strangely- he's a bit annoying. I followed Jose's non-recipe and the soup came out delicious. I've put some measurements  here just to give you a rough idea about how it should come out.

Spanish Garlic Soup (Adapted from Jose Andres)

1 head garlic, chopped
olive oil
salt
2 t Smokey Paprika
about 3 slices day old bread, sliced thinly
3 c chicken stock (or water)
2 eggs

In a dutch oven, place garlic, olive oil, and salt. Cook until garlic becomes fragrant - do not overcook. Stir in paprika (the Sous Chef said it could have used a little more paprika so feel free to add additional paprika).  Add stock/water. You should have enough to cover the bread. You might need a little more depending on how much bread you use. Cook on medium flame until bread sort of melts into the stock (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat stir in eggs one at a time.

This recipe comes together so quickly. It's a great recipe on one of those really cold days and you need to have something comforting quickly. 

You can use any sort of bread that is a little old. I had a multigrain sourdough bread. It wasn't quite stale yet so I just left the slices out for a few hours to harden up a bit and that did the trick.

I used chicken stock because I wanted a little added richness. However, there is so much flavor packed in here, I think water would work quite well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...