Skip to main content

Lemon Cookies

Why didn't I see these before I used those precious lemons from my lemon tree?? Not that the pasta was a bad choice. These would have been the perfect vehicle for those lemons. Oh well I'll have to bookmark this for next year. These are soft, lemony deliciousness.

Lemon Cookies (Adapted from Back to Her Roots)

1 stick butter
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c honey
1 t vanilla extract
1 3/4 c flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
sugar for rolling

Cream butter, lemon, zest, sugar, and honey. For about 8-10 minutes - seriously. It will look a little curdled but that's OK. Add vanilla and mix well.  In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to butter mixture in 3 batches. Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes. Roll into 1" balls; then roll in sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheet (I used my silpat).


Bake at 350 until edges start to turn brown - anywhere between 5-10 minutes. These go from not done to done VERY quickly. Cool on the cookie sheet for a minute or two and then on a cooling rack.

The original recipe had you cooling the cookies and then dipping them in confectioners sugar. Don't get me wrong, that might be nice but I was in a rush to get these done and just didn't feel like fiddling around with confectioner's sugar. I think they came out quite nice just being rolled in regular sugar.

I usually store my cookies in a tin lined with plastic wrap. Easy clean up - you really need to just pull the plastic wrap out and that is it - sometimes some stray crumbs get underneath then you need to rinse the tins. The tin really keeps them fresh for longer - not that that is usually a problem, as cookies are usually gone within a day or two.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...