Skip to main content

Loaded Potato Soup


Funny thing about this recipe - I cut it out of Cooking Light magazine twice - once in 2010 and again in 2012 (Shame on you Cooking Light for re-using recipes). I'm glad that I did cut it out (twice) - it is such a quick-cooking, flavorful soup.

Loaded Potato Soup (Adapted from Cooking Light)

4 baking potatoes
olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 slices bacon (or about 3 oz salt pork) chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 c chicken or vegetable broth
3 T flour
2 c milk
1/4 c sour cream or Greek yogurt
salt/pepper
1/3 c cheddar cheese, grated
sliced green onions (optional)

Pierce potatoes all over with a fork. Place in microwave on HIGH for about 13 minutes (or until tender).  Cut in half and set aside.

While potatoes are cooking, add oil, onion, and bacon to a dutch oven. Saute until onions start to caramelize. Add broth. Whisk flour into 1/2 c milk, then add the remainder of the milk, and lastly add it to soup. Bring to boil; stirring often. Remove from heat and add sour cream (or Greek yogurt). Peel potatoes and coarsely mash the potatoes with a fork. Add to soup. Top with cheese and optional green onions.

I used the salt pork (the Sous Chef needs to make another batch of bacon). I also used the Greek yogurt because I didn't have sour cream and omitted the green onions (ditto). This is a pretty flexible recipe (the original calls for red potatoes and NO I cannot ever make a recipe as directed!). I used 2% milk and you cannot believe how creamy this soup tastes. You would swear there was heavy cream in there and as much as I was tempted to use that instead, I'm glad I didn't. This definitely a weeknight meal - who would've thought! Yeah I know I have to go food shopping.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...