Skip to main content

Triple Chocolate Cupcakes


I always hating making cupcakes for school when the girls were younger. I would much rather make a whole cake. I've changed my mind a little bit about that and it wasn't due to that stupid cupcake craze. I used to hate spooning the batter into the papers! I think what changed my mind was that using an ice cream scoop to portion the batter makes it easier and the cupcakes themselves are portion control (providing I don't eat several).

Triple Chocolate Cupcakes (Adapted from ???)

2 c cake flour
2/3 c cocoa powder
1 1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1 1/2 stick butter
1 3/4 c sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 t vanilla extract
1 t chocolate extract (optional)
1c buttermilk
1 c chocolate chips (feel free to be more generous)

Frosting:
7 1/2 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 c heavy cream
3 T butter, cut in small cubes
Chocolate sprinkles (optional)

In a small bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a mixer bowl beat butter until fluffy. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy about 5 minutes.  Add eggs 1 at a time beating after each addition. Add vanilla and chocolate extracts. Add flour mixture alternating with buttermilk in 3 batches.  Beating well after each addition. Stir in chocolate chips. Using an ice cream scoop, fill lined muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake 20 - 25 minutes at 350 or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in pans for 5 minutes and then cool completely on wire racks.

Place chocolate and cream in a glass bowl. Microwave in 20 second increments until melted. Stir until combined. Stir in several cubes of butter; stirring to incorporate. Let cool to room temperature.  Refrigerate 15 minutes. Beat in mixer  until thickened about 3 minutes. Ice or pipe onto cupcakes. Scatter sprinkles on top. Refrigerate to set icing.

I don't know where I got this recipe from. It's one of those that were clipped from some magazine. I did a search and there were a lot under it's title of Divine Devil's Food Cupcakes but none that looked like the original source.

I don't know I find with the chocolate cupcakes, you don't get that nice dome effect. They seem to spread on the top. You need to fill a little less but if you have a little spreading - no problem.  Use a pair of kitchen scissors to trim the edges. Now they're all ready for frosting and a little bonus of munching on the scraps for the chef. These little babies are moist as anything. I felt the frosting was a little skimpy - but that's me. We are talking chocolate here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomato Risotto

Want to build up those arm muscles.  There is no better way than to do up a good risotto. You will get tired of stirring but it is oh so worth it. Tomato Risotto 1 onion, chopped olive oil 2 clove garlic, minced 1 1/2 c Aborio Rice 1/2 c white wine 4 medium-sized tomatoes, peeled about 1 cup warm vegetable stock (may need additional) 1 t fresh oregano 1 T fresh torn basil 2 T fresh parsley salt/pepper Parmesan cheese In a dutch oven, saute chopped onion in olive oil.  Add a little salt to help the onions along.  Meanwhile prep the tomatoes. Squeeze tomatoes gently just to rid them of the seeds. You do not need to get rid of all the liquid. Chop the tomatoes into large cubes. Cook onions until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add rice and saute for a few minutes until the rice smells toasted. Gradually add white wine and stir until almost all of the wine is absorbed. Add tomatoes to the rice. Add the oregano and basil. Stirring constantly until a

New Kid on the Block

So here's a picture of the new kid on the block. Ain't she a beauty? It's a Blomberg . They are fairly new to the US. They have been around in Europe for quite a while. I really liked the design. I've been dying to have a freezer on the bottom. With the old refrigerator I would constantly lose brain cells by hitting my head on the freezer will poking around in the refrigerator. It really makes sense to have the refrigerator on top - that is where you spend most of your time. When we bought the old one, it was an emergency situation. The prior one was leaking on the floor and was no longer cooling. Fifteen years ago the freezer on the bottom was just starting to get popular but we were in no situation to wait for delivery. We had to take what they had on hand. Now the freezer on the bottom is by no means unique. What is - is this freezer's design. There are 3 compartments in the freezer. I used to have a chest freezer in the basement and everything would get los

Go Gadget Go

Don't you just love a good gadget? I love one that is functional - usually with several functions as a matter of fact.  I don't really like a one-trick pony type of gadgets.  I like multi-taskers. Sometimes you have to settle for a one-trick pony and that's OK. Sorry I couldn't resist - the girls always loved Inspector gadget when they were young. I especially love the intro! My Mom's friend is moving and she's been clearing out her kitchen.  She knows that I'm a big kitchen person so she gave me a bunch of things that she thought I might put to good use (Thanks Terri).  She's given me some pretty nice things in the past too. She's given me some cake-decorating tools, some copper molds, cookie cutters, spritz cookie gun, etc. Here's what I got this time around: I'm excited about the two spatulas.  The one is really flexible. I already have the mini spatula (from Pampered Chef ) and love it. Sometimes though when lifting things