Skip to main content

Chicken in Milk


This sounded very intriguing when I first came across this recipe.


Chicken in Milk (Adapted from Jamie Oliver via Food 52)

1 whole chicken
salt/pepper
3 T olive oil
2 cinnamon stick
zest of 2 lemons
10 garlic cloves, skin on
2 c milk

Preheat oven to 375. Salt and pepper the chicken. In a pot that the chicken will fit tightly in, heat the oil. Fry the chicken until it gets nicely brown on all sides.

Remove chicken and discard remaining olive oil (I just wiped it out with paper towels). Put the chicken back in the pot with the remaining ingredients. Cook in oven for 1 1/2 hours basting every 20 minutes. The milk becomes curdy and makes a really delicious sauce for the chicken as well as mashed potatoes.

The chicken comes out super tender. The lactic acid in the milk tenderizes the chicken. I was wondering if you could make this with buttermilk. I'm thinking that would add some additional flavor. Jamie Oliver uses fresh sage in the recipe. It was raining really hard out and I didn't want to go out in the backyard to get it so I left it out and it came out very well (lazy - I know).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

Mensa Member?

I think Mickey is a member of Mensa. We heard him last night but could not determine where he was in the kitchen (or should I say the Sous Chef could not locate him - I certainly was not looking). He had been lurking in the toaster cabinet the night before and averted the glue trap. This is absolute torture. Still no cooking going on.