Skip to main content

Lemon Tassies

What is a tassie anyway? I looked on the web of knowledge and the definition is a tass (real helpful huh?). Then if you look up tass it says it is a goblet or what is in the goblet - as small draught. The British version says that it is a native of Tasmania. Well none of these definitions quite fit these little lemon filled pastries.

Lemon Tassies (Adapted from Martha Stewart)

Crusts:
5T butter, cut into chunks
1c flour
3T sugar
1 egg yolk
1t vanilla
1t lemon zest
1/2 t salt
1-2T lemon juice

Filling:
8oz cream cheese
1/3 c sugar
1 egg
2T lemon zest
2T lemon juice
1t vanilla

Lightly grease mini-muffin tins. Set aside. In a food processor pulse the butter and flour until it looks like bread crumbs. Add sugar, egg yolk, vanilla, zest, and salt. Process until incorporated. You might need to add the lemon juice for the dough to come together. DO NOT OVERPROCESS.

Divide dough into 4 pieces and then each of those 4 further down into 6 pieces. Place each dough ball into a muffin cup. Press the centers so that the dough fills the cups. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside on cooling rack while making the filling.

Beat cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Scoop into each of the cooled crusts. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set.

Martha garnished these with candied lemon peel. It looks pretty but I'm not convinced that it is necessarily needed. Plain was nice. I think a nice raspberry or diced strawberry might also be an option. I think I could have let the crusts get a little darker but I was afraid to let them get too dark since they get put back in the oven. These made such nice bite-sized snacks. Martha also did not add the lemon juice to the crust but I found it to be really dry and not really coming together so see how it goes.

I know this recipe also leaves you with that extra egg white - oh how I hate that! I must admit this time I couldn't be bothered and it ended up in the compost.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...