Skip to main content

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies


This is one of my go-to cookies recipes when I'm Jones-ing for something chocolate. In about an hour from set up to clean up, you can have these beauties out of the oven.  I've made them so many times the cookbook opens automatically to their page - so you know this is a good recipe.

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies (Adapted from Nigella Express)

4 oz bittersweet chocolate (or if you prefer semisweet)
1 c flour
1/4 cocoa, sifted
1 t baking soda
1 t instant espresso powder (optional)
1/2 t salt
1/2 c butter (1 stick)
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c sugar
1 t vanilla
1 t chocolate extract (optional)
1 egg - cold from the refrigerator
2 c chocolate chips

Melt chocolate, set aside to cool a little. In a small bowl stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda, espresso, and salt.  In a mixer cream butter and sugars together. Add vanilla and chocolate extracts. Mix in egg. Mix in the dry ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips. Use an ice cream scoop (1/4 c) and place dough onto lined cookie sheets. You should get about 12 cookies. Leave in mounds - do not flatten. Bake at 325 for 18-22 minutes. Insert toothpick and it should come out semi-clean (you might hit a chip or two). Cool on pans 5 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack.


A great way to get butter to room temperature quickly and avoid that "oops I microwaved it too much" event, is to place slices of the butter on a small plate. In about 15 minutes or so it will be softened and ready to go.

I don't always put in the espresso powder - but it does add a little extra flavor. I'm not quite sure what the cold egg does but I haven't been brave enough to try out a room temperature one. Well besides, you always have refrigerated egg around anyway. These are really a nice snack-size cookie (I mean really who has just one of those regular-sized cookies - you know you have at least 3 or so - well this is the equivalent all packaged into one). They go oh so well with a nice cold glass of milk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...