Skip to main content

Banana Cake

I don't get to make this cake often - the Sous Chef is not a fan. So if I make it, I have to eat the whole thing, which is not really so much of a chore, but still I shouldn't be eating a whole cake myself. I often make it when I need to bring a cake somewhere or if we are having guests over. Easter seemed like a good opportunity to make it so I did.


Banana Cake (Adapted from some page photocopied out of some cookbook at some point)

1 c butter (2 sticks)
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 c mashed bananas
1 3/4 c flour
1/2 t salt
2/3 t baking soda
5T buttermilk
1 t vanilla

2 bananas, sliced

Frosting:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
6T butter, softened
3 c confectioners' sugar, sifted
1t vanilla
juice 1/2 lemon and zest (optional)

Grease and flour 2 - 9" cake pans and set aside.  Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add mashed bananas. Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix until combined. Add buttermilk and vanilla and mix. Lastly, add the remaining flour mixture.  Pour into prepared pans and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until done (toothpick inserted should come out clean). Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then turn out to cool completely.

Prepare the frosting: Cream butter and cream cheese together in a mixer.  Slowly add sifted confectioners' sugar. Add vanilla and lemon and zest.

When cake is cooled place one layer on serving platter. Frost layer. Arrange slices over the frosting. Cover with the second layer and frost top and sides of cake.

I don't know why the Sous Chef doesn't like this cake. I think it might be the cream cheese frosting? But he does eat it on carrot cake? I was thinking about instead of using icing in between the layers, using Nutella. But I didn't have enough Nutella. I don't know how and why that always happens? Maybe next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cinnamon Star Bread

I was very perplexed by this recipe. I could not figure out by the directions how it got into this shape. I understood the twisting part but then was at a loss. The website didn't have a video or pictures - was I just being dense? Well once I cut the dough into the 16 pieces and twisted - DUH - it was a little clearer. I decided to include pictures for those of you that need a visual.

Cinnamon Star Bread (Adapted from King Arthur Flour)

3/4 c warm milk (100-110 degrees)
2T sugar
2 t yeast
4T butter
2 c flour
1 t salt
1/3 c instant mashed potato flakes*
1 t vanilla

Filling
1 lg egg, beaten
1/3 c sugar
2T cinnamon

Combine milk, sugar, and yeast in a small measuring cup. Mix well and set aside. Place butter, flour, salt, instant mashed potatoes and vanilla in a large bowl. After yeast is bubbly add to dry ingredients. Mix with dough hook until dough is smooth and soft. (Or mix by hand and then knead by hand until smooth and soft). Place in a greased bowl and let sit for 1 hour or un…

It's Better With Butter

Why would you want to make your own butter? Because it tastes better! And it's easy. All you need it heavy cream, salt, and a mixer-although you can get away without using the mixer. If you are using a mixer, you will need to cover it with plastic wrap, unless you're really into cleaning up splatter. Pour heavy cream into your mixer. It doesn't have to be fresh. It can be close to its expiration date. This time I used 3 cups because I had an open container and an unopened one.
You just whip it for about 10-15 minutes on high. It first looks like whipped cream, then starts to deflate a bit, then starts to get a yellowish hue, until finally you hear a clunk clunk noise and you know you have separated the butter from the buttermilk (boy was that a run on sentence or what?). By this time the plastic wrap is so covered in splatter you can't see into the bowl any longer.

Butter:
 Buttermilk:
From 3 cups of cream you end up with about 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk. Strain the butt…

Burnt Cinnamon Simple Syrup

The NY Times Magazine section did a piece on cocktails about two weeks ago and one was calling me-Rhum Agricole Daiquiri. What attracted me here (well besides the cocktail aspect) was the Burnt Cinnamon Simple Syrup. It was easy enough to make, as are most simple syrups, but it was the potential uses.  I started thinking not only daiquiris but why not with Applejack? Apples, burnt cinnamon sounds like a winner to me. Or how about a nice hot cider, with a little rum, and the simple syrup (Guess I'll have to wait until the fall for the cider). On the non-alcohol side-why not use it to moisten a sponge cake - wouldn't that give it an interesting flavor? Or what about a burnt cinnamon ice cream?

Now first for the burning of the cinnamon - it felt a little like I was doing a cleanse to ward off evil spirits. I think that is usually done with sage but if cinnamon works too - so be it. The recipe recommended using a small creme brulee torch to burn the cinnamon sticks - like you do. …