Skip to main content

Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins

I have a love/hate relationship with muffins. I do love them but sometimes hate them. They can be so dry and boring. I generally won't eat them out because they are such a crap shoot. These looked interesting because you macerate the strawberries - although I was worried they might be too wet. Strawberries are like little mini sponges. They also had yogurt to add moisture. I decided to give them a try and was pretty pleased with the results.

Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins (Adapted from TakeAMegaBite)

1 1/4 c oats (I used old-fashioned)
1 c greek yogurt
3 T buttermilk
1 1/2 strawberries, chopped
2 t sugar
1T balsamic vinegar
1 c flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon
2 eggs
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/2 c brown sugar
1t vanilla

Mix oats, yogurt, and buttermilk together and set aside. Toss strawberries with 2t of sugar and balsamic vinegar. Set aside. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside. Add the eggs to the oat mixture. Next, add the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla. Stir until incorporated. Stir in flour mixture until just blended - do not over stir. Gently fold in strawberries (including the liquid). Spoon into muffin cups. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and then remove from tins.

I think since I used old-fashioned oats, I had to add more liquid (the buttermilk). If you don't have buttermilk on hand (which I happened to have and was looking to use up), just add additional yogurt. I made mini muffins. The recipe made 36 and then an additional 8 regular sized muffins. These came out quite tasty and moist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...