Skip to main content

Sweet Potato Dinner Rolls

With my cranberry sauce stowed in the refrigerator already, I got to thinking about bread for Thanksgiving. I usually don't make bread for Thanksgiving because there's so many other things going on. However, I came across this on KAF about freezing the dough and then defrosting, baking the rolls. It got me to searching for a good roll recipe.  Sweet Potato Dinner rolls seemed to fit the bill.

Sweet Potato Dinner Rolls (Adapted from Handle the Heat)

1 medium sweet potato (about 8-10 oz)
1 c buttermilk
4 T butter, melted
2 eggs
2T honey
2 1/2 t yeast
1 t salt
4 - 5 c bread flour

 1 egg
coarse salt

Pierce sweet potato with a fork and microwave for at least 4 minutes. A knife should slide in easily. Slice in half and let cool.

Press the sweet potato through a ricer or mash until there are no lumps. Add honey to buttermilk and stir. Add to sweet potato. Add butter, eggs, and salt. Mix. Add 2 cups of flour and mix until well. Switch to dough hook and add additional flour. Mix until dough is soft and slightly tacky. Cut dough into 15 equal pieces. Roll into a ball. Place on a parchment lined sheet pan. Cover and freeze until dough is totally frozen.

All frozen and waiting to jump in the bag
Remove from sheet pan and place in bag. Seal well. Remove from freezer and space out in a greased 13x9 pan. Let defrost for 4-5 hours at room temperature until risen. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

I had a slight mishap with my rolls. I think I put less yeast in. I got distracted during the process. The yeast is slightly more than what you find in a yeast packet. (I buy my yeast in bulk so I just measure it out of the container). You need to increase the yeast a little because of the freezing. There's a higher chance that some of the yeast might die off in the freezing process. All in all - either I measured correctly or not a lot of yeast died? I got a nice rise out of these rolls. They are so nice and tender because of the sweet potatoes. This recipe is definitely a keeper. I will definitely be doing this freezing roll thing again! It was easy. We'll see what everyone thinks about them on Thanksgiving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...