Skip to main content

Sweet Potato Crust Frittata


This recipe was quite interesting to me because as much as I try with crust, either they come out really good or really bad. The taste is fine; it's usually shrinkage or the fluting that I struggle with. This appealed to me because it's seemed like it would be rather healthy. With all that said did it taste good - yes. Was it a quiche - I would say no. It reminded me more of a frittata. Is this a bad thing - no not necessarily, unless you were expecting a quiche. I did change up some of the recipe - they wanted you to use 4 eggs and 2 whites. I wasn't making ice cream so I didn't have a use for the extra yolks. I decided to just add them into the mix.


Sweet Potato Crust Quiche Frittata(Adapted from Cooking Light)

2 medium sweet potatoes*
spray oil
1t olive oil
1 clove garlic minced
1 5-oz baby spinach
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
salt/pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
6  eggs

2 oz goat cheese, crumbled

Peel and slice the sweet potato. Using a mandoline, make 1/8" slices. Grease a 9" glass pie dish. Lay out the slices of sweet potato in the bottom of the dish, overlapping slightly. Cut the rounds in half and fill around the edges, again overlapping. Spray with cooking spray and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile add 1t olive oil to a skillet. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Set aside. Turn the heat up to 375. While sweet potatoes slighly cool, whisk together milk, nutmeg, salt/peppers, and eggs. Place spinach in bottom of pie crust. Pour over egg mixture. Sprinkle crumbled goat cheese. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving.

This also reheats well. I made it the day before and then just rewarmed it in the oven for serving.


*I found that one decent sized one was adequate. Just make sure it's one of the round ones - not the long and skinny kind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...