Skip to main content

Tahini Brownies

I'm not a peanut butter fan at all. I just don't get it. Maybe it was all those peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as a I child? However, I do understand that that people are crazy for the combination of peanut butter and chocolate (I believe there are these things called Reece's peanut butter cups that people go nuts over?? I don't know). However, I must admit I was intrigued by using Tahini with brownies. Luckily, I had just enough Tahini in the house to give this a try for a last minute invite to a party.

Tahini Brownies (Adapted from Milk Street*)

4T butter
4oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3T cocoa powder
3 eggs
1c sugar
1T vanilla
1t salt
3/4 c Tahini
1/2 c flour

Line an 8-inch square pan with foil. In a saucepan melt butter. Remove from heat and add chocolate and cocoa and stir until melted. Set aside. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Whisk in Tahini. Gently fold in flour. Measure out 1/2 c of the mixture and set aside. Add chocolate mixture to remaining Tahini mixture. Pour into pan. Dollop the reserved Tahini mixture on top of chocolate mixture. Swirl the tip of a knife to marble the top. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until set but center is still moist. Cool in pan for 30 minutes on rack. Use the foil to lift the brownies out of the pan and completely cool before removing foil and slicing.




*I know there's a big legal battle between ATK (Cooks Illustrated) and Christopher Kimball. I'm not really sure who is right and who is wrong, but I do have to say I do miss him on ATK. As much as it pains me to admit, Julia and Bridget are just a missing something. I know he always made bad jokes that made me roll my eyes, but he did add something to the show. I was happy to see that he started a new venture. I received my complimentary issue of his magazine and I sent in for a subscription.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

Mensa Member?

I think Mickey is a member of Mensa. We heard him last night but could not determine where he was in the kitchen (or should I say the Sous Chef could not locate him - I certainly was not looking). He had been lurking in the toaster cabinet the night before and averted the glue trap. This is absolute torture. Still no cooking going on.