Skip to main content

Chocolate Mud Cake

This mud cake is not a heavy cake but it is rich. So get the milk ready as a side. I know it sounds strange to say that it's not heavy but it isn't. The cake is really light in texture.  It was so good that the Sous Chef had a second piece and you know the Sous Chef is not one for ooey gooey stuff (although he lied and said it was still his first piece - he "was just eating slow").


Chocolate Mud Cake (Adapted from JoePastry)
8 oz butter (2 sticks)
8 oz semisweet chocolate
1 c flour
2 t instant espresso powder
1/2 c cocoa
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
2 c sugar
4 eggs
1/2 c buttermilk
1 t vanilla
1 t chocolate extract

Grease a 9" springform pan. Line the bottom with a round of parchment. Combine the chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl.  Melt them in the microwave stirring every 15 seconds or so.  Stir until completely smooth.


Sift and combine flour, cocoa, espresso, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Stir in sugar.  Whisk eggs and buttermilk together.  Add to dry ingredients.  Add chocolate mixture and stir until just combined.  Pour into prepared pan and bake at 325 for about 1 hour 20 minutes until skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.

I must confess I wrapped the pan in foil in case it leaked a little but only had minor leakage. Joe Pastry suggests serving with ice cream but I found just a little confectioner's sugar on it was A-OK. I wouldn't turn down a little whipped cream either.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

Mensa Member?

I think Mickey is a member of Mensa. We heard him last night but could not determine where he was in the kitchen (or should I say the Sous Chef could not locate him - I certainly was not looking). He had been lurking in the toaster cabinet the night before and averted the glue trap. This is absolute torture. Still no cooking going on.