Skip to main content

Rotisserie Chicken vs Faux-tisserie Chicken

I know I've disappeared for a while. February has been a bit crazy. I've been cooking - visiting old favorites like pierogies, sourdough chocolate waffles, and potato kugel and tested a few not so good new ones.  I also have another batch of sauerkraut fermenting. So things have been busy. I think I've been a little lazy about posting. But I promise you this one was worth the wait (were you really waiting??).


Faux-tisserie Chicken (Adapted from BonAppetit)

2 t fennel seeds
1/4 t red pepper flakes*
2 T majoram, and 4 sprigs
2T thyme, and 4 sprigs
1T salt
1/2 t pepper
3T olive oil
about 3lb whole chicken
1 lemon, quartered
1 head garlic, halved
Grind fennel and pepper in a mortar and pestle. Combine with other herbs, salt/pepper and olive oil. Rub chicken inside and out with the spice mixture. Stuff lemon, garlic, marjoram, and thyme sprigs into the chicken. Place on rimmed baking dish and cook for 3 hours at 300. Baste chicken every hour, until tender and browned.

This chicken comes out so moist, tender, and flavorful. I did not have that many drippings to baste until the last hour or so. I would have preferred if the skin was a tad bit more crisped and browned. Next time I would slap a little bit more oil on the skin if by hour two there were not enough drippings.

I first heard about this recipe on the BonAppetit podcast. Sometimes I don't listen to the whole podcast because I find some of them a little too "foodie." Sort of this-is-the-new-hot-thing-and-aren't-I-cool-for-liking-it kind of thing. (Of course, I'm not cool because I used the word cool). I get very annoyed and switch back to listening to "the boys" (Stuff You Should Know). But this particular podcast (I don't remember which one) mentioned slow roasting and it sounded interesting.

The original recipe had Yukon Gold potatoes roasting with the chicken. I'm sure that would be good too, but I didn't have any so the chicken went solo. It does take 3 hours, but it's perfect for one of those bumming around the house days. Go and try it.

*You know I'm a big baby about heat so feel free to add the full 1t that was in the original recipe




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

Mensa Member?

I think Mickey is a member of Mensa. We heard him last night but could not determine where he was in the kitchen (or should I say the Sous Chef could not locate him - I certainly was not looking). He had been lurking in the toaster cabinet the night before and averted the glue trap. This is absolute torture. Still no cooking going on.