Skip to main content

Pierogies

When I was a kid, pierogies were something that we always made for a special occasion-at least the homemade kind. We usually made them for Christmas Eve.  I remember it always being such a project with perhaps a little bit of yelling involved. But now I don't think they are such a project (hey I make my own cheese right?). They are well worth the work. I can usually knock them out in less than an hour, as long as the mashed potatoes are cool.

Potato/Cheese Pierogi

For the dough:

2 c flour
1 egg
2 T sour cream
1 T butter
1/4 t salt
approx 1/2 c water
1/2 c cold mashed potatoes

Potato/Cheese Filling:

1 T grated onion (or shallot)
2 T butter
2 c cold mashed potato
1 c cottage cheese
salt/pepper

Mix the ingredients for the filling and set aside.

Mix the dough ingredients and knead - do not knead too much or dough will become tough.  Divide dough in half. Cover and set aside 1/2 of dough.  Roll dough thin on a floured surface.  Cut into 2" circles using a round cookie cutter or a 2" glass dipped in flour.  Place a small spoonful of filling on dough circle.  Pick up dough circle (the one with the filling) and cover with another dough circle.  Gently seal edges with fingertips.  Crimp edges with a fork dipped in flour.  Place on floured cloth and cover.  Roll out remainder of dough.  Gather scraps and roll out one more time (If you roll scraps more than once, dough will be tough). I ended up with extra filling.
Half the dough-the other half is hiding under the towel

2" circles
Don't add too much filling

Crimp the edges

Boil in salted water about 5 minutes or until pierogies float.  Drain and place in bowl.  Coat with butter to prevent sticking.

They are also good fried up.  You boil them first and then saute them in a skillet with a little butter. You can even saute a chopped onion with them.  Serve with sour cream.

I thought those were really the only two ways that you could make them.  Hey but what do I know? I didn't think I looked Polish until I went to a Polish Festival and saw all these people around that looked like me. No wonder why when I go to the Polish store the lady starts to talk Polish to me.  I happened upon this recipe in Cooking Light.  I have made this recipe using mushrooms too (see variation).

Baked Pierogi (adapted from Cooking Light)

1 lb pierogi (preferably fresh) (1/2 the above pierogi recipe)
2 slices bacon, chopped (optional)
2 clove garlic, minced
1/3 c cream cheese
1/2 c chicken stock
1/2 c shredded cheese (cheddar, Fontina, Mozzarella, Gruyere)
1/2 pint grape tomatoes, halved
salt/pepper

Preheat oven to 400. Butter or spray a casserole dish. Place pierogies in dish. Saute bacon (if using) in a skillet until crisp. Remove and set aside. Add garlic and saute until aromatic.  Add cream cheese and stir until it starts to melt. Slowly whisk in chicken stock. Heat through until sauce is smooth. Pour over pierogies.  Sprinkle tomatoes and cheese over pierogies. Bake for 20 minutes until bubbly.

Variation:  Instead of tomatoes use 8oz of cremini mushrooms, sliced. After cooking bacon, saute mushrooms until they start to give off liquid.  Toss in garlic and saute until aromatic. Add salt/pepper. You can also add some thyme or sage.  Add 1/2 c white wine and cook until almost all the wine is evaporated.  Remove from pan and set aside.  Add cream cheese and continue with recipe to make the sauce. Gruyere cheese goes nicely with the mushrooms.

Instead of bacon, I've also used cubed smoked ham. Or I've just left the bacon out. This is such a great weeknight quick meal (I don't mean if you make the homemade pierogi). Since I had some extra cream cheese lying around, I did a double batch. We stopped in for lunch at Big Stash's in Linden NJ this week, and I have to say I think mine were better. And Big Stash makes a pretty mean pierogi!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...