Skip to main content

Cream Cheese (or I better get a job soon)

OK now I know I really need to find a job. I'm making cheese now. I've made mozzarella, I've made ricotta so why not try something a little more complicated.  Why not try to make cream cheese?  It really is not that much more complicated than mozzarella or ricotta. It's just as easy. You just have to source the ingredients - and like I've said before I've got nothing but time to source ingredients. Off to the web of knowledge (aka the internet). I found the ingredients here.
All the ingredients except for a pot, strainer, cheesecloth, and a bowl

Of course I already had the recipe from Make the Bread, Buy the Butter by Jennifer Reese. It is a book that gives you recipes for all sorts of things that you would never think of making (that's where I got the Worcestershire recipe from). Or if you look at it in another way-all sorts of ways that you could potentially kill off your loved ones by making a mistake with one of the recipes. Perspective - you know.

I have so many recipes tagged to try in this book. If only I could figure out a place to hang pancetta, I would be so making that. While the basement is cool and dry, as the recipe recommends, it's just sort of dirty and the thought of food sitting down there for a week (even though it is wrapped in cheesecloth) just sort of makes me sick. So I will have to think further on that one. Maybe if I could think of some sort of container to put it in that would still allow air circulation-might have to put the Sous Chef onto this project. My only criticism of the book is that I do make the butter. I think the taste is so much better than the stuff you buy in the store!

Anyway the cream cheese recipe:

Cream Cheese (Adapted from Make the Bread, Buy the Butter)

1 qt whole milk
1 qt half-and-half
1/4 t mesophilic culture (conveniently the size packet I bought)
2 drops liquid rennet
1 t kosher salt

Apparently cleanliness is next to Godliness in cheese making - so make sure everything is clean. 

In a pot with a good fitting lid, heat the milk and half-and-half to about 80 degrees. It should be barely warm. Sprinkle the mesophilic culture on the surface of the milk. Wait 1 or 2 minutes for the culture to rehydrate. Stir with a slotted spoon using an up-and-down motion. Add the rennet. Stir using the up-and-down motion again. Cover with the lid and let it sit for 24 hours undisturbed at room temperature.
Sitting undisturbed for 24 hours*

See smooth not lumpy
Strain and cover with a clean towel
Place strainer lined with cheesecloth over a bowl.  Spoon curd (it's not clumpy curd like the ricotta-it is smooth) into the strainer. Cover with a clean towel. Let sit for 8 hours.
I had to pour off the whey as it came up to the bottom of the strainer

Discard whey. Stir salt into the cream cheese and store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator. DONE!













*Disclaimer:  I have to say I did not leave it undisturbed for the 24 hours - I kept peeking.  I was expecting the curd to be more like the ricotta and I kept thinking I did something wrong since it was so smooth looking (aka I was going to kill everyone in the household with this stuff). But 24 hours later when I started to spoon it into the strainer, I realized that it looked like watery cream cheese so I must have done it right. Plus it's now been more than 24 hours since I've eaten it and I feel fine.

Now a few words of advice.  I was scared that I was going to add too much rennet since it is only two drops. I put the drops onto the 1/4 teaspoon first and then stirred it into the milk. I bought the animal rennet - there was an option of buying vegetarian.  Since the vegetarian isn't living at home, I thought I would just go for the animal, which has been used in cheese making since the dawn of cheese. I'm storing the rennet in the refrigerator and the remaining packets of mesophilic culture in the freezer. So there will be more cream cheese coming. There is also a recipe for Marscapone in the book that I want to try so I bought the tartaric acid for that. I'm storing the tartaric acid in the refrigerator (cool, dry place).

Now I've heard that it is very difficult to make cheese in a kitchen that you also make bread in - due to the extra yeast flying all around.  So I don't think I'll be making anything more complicated - such as cheddar or Camembert.

It came out quite creamy and has a little more tang than the benign tasting stuff you buy in the store. I first tested it out on just a piece of toast with some jam. It was delicious!  Make sure you have a plan to use the cream cheese because it does make quite a bit - it almost filled a quart container.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Kid on the Block

So here's a picture of the new kid on the block. Ain't she a beauty? It's a Blomberg . They are fairly new to the US. They have been around in Europe for quite a while. I really liked the design. I've been dying to have a freezer on the bottom. With the old refrigerator I would constantly lose brain cells by hitting my head on the freezer will poking around in the refrigerator. It really makes sense to have the refrigerator on top - that is where you spend most of your time. When we bought the old one, it was an emergency situation. The prior one was leaking on the floor and was no longer cooling. Fifteen years ago the freezer on the bottom was just starting to get popular but we were in no situation to wait for delivery. We had to take what they had on hand. Now the freezer on the bottom is by no means unique. What is - is this freezer's design. There are 3 compartments in the freezer. I used to have a chest freezer in the basement and everything would get los

Tomato Risotto

Want to build up those arm muscles.  There is no better way than to do up a good risotto. You will get tired of stirring but it is oh so worth it. Tomato Risotto 1 onion, chopped olive oil 2 clove garlic, minced 1 1/2 c Aborio Rice 1/2 c white wine 4 medium-sized tomatoes, peeled about 1 cup warm vegetable stock (may need additional) 1 t fresh oregano 1 T fresh torn basil 2 T fresh parsley salt/pepper Parmesan cheese In a dutch oven, saute chopped onion in olive oil.  Add a little salt to help the onions along.  Meanwhile prep the tomatoes. Squeeze tomatoes gently just to rid them of the seeds. You do not need to get rid of all the liquid. Chop the tomatoes into large cubes. Cook onions until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add rice and saute for a few minutes until the rice smells toasted. Gradually add white wine and stir until almost all of the wine is absorbed. Add tomatoes to the rice. Add the oregano and basil. Stirring constantly until a

Go Gadget Go

Don't you just love a good gadget? I love one that is functional - usually with several functions as a matter of fact.  I don't really like a one-trick pony type of gadgets.  I like multi-taskers. Sometimes you have to settle for a one-trick pony and that's OK. Sorry I couldn't resist - the girls always loved Inspector gadget when they were young. I especially love the intro! My Mom's friend is moving and she's been clearing out her kitchen.  She knows that I'm a big kitchen person so she gave me a bunch of things that she thought I might put to good use (Thanks Terri).  She's given me some pretty nice things in the past too. She's given me some cake-decorating tools, some copper molds, cookie cutters, spritz cookie gun, etc. Here's what I got this time around: I'm excited about the two spatulas.  The one is really flexible. I already have the mini spatula (from Pampered Chef ) and love it. Sometimes though when lifting things