Skip to main content

Cornish Pasty

Since I've already offended a bunch of people with my entry on Irish Soda Bread, I figured why not offend some people from Cornwall too.

Be careful how you pronounce Pasty-it's Pahs-TEE not pastey - that's another blog not mine. Cornish Pasties were supposedly created as lunches for miners.  They needed something that would fit in their lunch boxes and be easy to eat - guess they got tired of sandwiches.

The first Cornish Pasty I ate was a few years ago at the West Cornwall Pasty Co in Covent Gardens in London. I know it's a chain and I generally don't like chain restaurants (if you can even call chain restaurants-restaurants) but in Europe they seem to have some good chain restaurants. After I came home, I was craving Cornish Pasties. I tried to find a recipe and could not find one that got the pastry right. I finally found one in Nigella Lawson's book. She doesn't call it a pasty, but that's what it tasted like to me.

Here is where the offending part comes in...Now I'm sure you're really supposed to use lard for it to be a real Cornish Pasty but I'm not really too into lard.  It's bad enough that I'm using vegetable shortening. I think that is why Nigella doesn't call it a pasty but I'm calling it a pasty.

Nigella's recipe uses a different sort of filling but I think you can use any sort of filling you want. I've used ground turkey, with potatoes and carrots. But this time I decided to go vegan (sort of-Worcestershire sauce has anchovies).

Cornish Pasty

For the pastry dough:

1 2/3 c flour
1/4 solid vegetable shortening
6 T cold butter (cut into pieces)
4 T ice water
1 egg beaten (for brushing)

Mix the flour, shortening, and butter into the food processor bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour. Remove bowl from refrigerator and process until dough looks cornmeal-ish. You still want a few small pieces of butter. Slowly add the ice water.  You may need to use more water. It should look like this:

It should clump together when you press it.


Divide dough in half onto plastic wrap. Push dough together until it forms a disk. Chill for at least 1/2 hour.


Now for the filling:

1 onion chopped
2 T olive oil
2 carrots diced
2 small beets diced (roasted in foil for about 1 hr-I used one red and one golden)
1 medium potato diced (I used a russet)
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 c fresh spinach
1/2 c wine
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 t fresh thyme
salt/pepper to taste 

Saute the onion in skillet until turning to brown.  Add carrot and potato and cook until almost tender - about 10 minutes. Add garlic let cook for a few seconds and then add wine and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until wine is almost evaporated. Add beets. Remove from heat and toss in spinach. Set aside to cool.
 
Homemade Worcestershire sauce - real easy to make



Roll dough out into a general rectangle shape (mine came out to be 9ishx12ish) Chill again in refrigerator. I rolled mine right on the silpat and the other dough (top) between to pieces of plastic wrap.  By rolling it out between the plastic wrap, it makes it easier to put the top on.
Place filling on top of dough leaving about a 1" margin. Wet the 1" border with a little water. Place second pastry on top of vegetables.  Fold over edge and seal with a fork.


Poke air vents in the top with a fork. Brush top with beaten egg. Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes.

You can really use any vege that you have on hand. Parsnips would be nice. Instead of spinach, kale or chard would also be good. What's really good about this recipe is that you can make the dough ahead of time as well as the filling. I would not assemble it ahead of time because I think the dough get soggy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomato Risotto

Want to build up those arm muscles.  There is no better way than to do up a good risotto. You will get tired of stirring but it is oh so worth it. Tomato Risotto 1 onion, chopped olive oil 2 clove garlic, minced 1 1/2 c Aborio Rice 1/2 c white wine 4 medium-sized tomatoes, peeled about 1 cup warm vegetable stock (may need additional) 1 t fresh oregano 1 T fresh torn basil 2 T fresh parsley salt/pepper Parmesan cheese In a dutch oven, saute chopped onion in olive oil.  Add a little salt to help the onions along.  Meanwhile prep the tomatoes. Squeeze tomatoes gently just to rid them of the seeds. You do not need to get rid of all the liquid. Chop the tomatoes into large cubes. Cook onions until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add rice and saute for a few minutes until the rice smells toasted. Gradually add white wine and stir until almost all of the wine is absorbed. Add tomatoes to the rice. Add the oregano and basil. Stirring constantly until a

New Kid on the Block

So here's a picture of the new kid on the block. Ain't she a beauty? It's a Blomberg . They are fairly new to the US. They have been around in Europe for quite a while. I really liked the design. I've been dying to have a freezer on the bottom. With the old refrigerator I would constantly lose brain cells by hitting my head on the freezer will poking around in the refrigerator. It really makes sense to have the refrigerator on top - that is where you spend most of your time. When we bought the old one, it was an emergency situation. The prior one was leaking on the floor and was no longer cooling. Fifteen years ago the freezer on the bottom was just starting to get popular but we were in no situation to wait for delivery. We had to take what they had on hand. Now the freezer on the bottom is by no means unique. What is - is this freezer's design. There are 3 compartments in the freezer. I used to have a chest freezer in the basement and everything would get los

Go Gadget Go

Don't you just love a good gadget? I love one that is functional - usually with several functions as a matter of fact.  I don't really like a one-trick pony type of gadgets.  I like multi-taskers. Sometimes you have to settle for a one-trick pony and that's OK. Sorry I couldn't resist - the girls always loved Inspector gadget when they were young. I especially love the intro! My Mom's friend is moving and she's been clearing out her kitchen.  She knows that I'm a big kitchen person so she gave me a bunch of things that she thought I might put to good use (Thanks Terri).  She's given me some pretty nice things in the past too. She's given me some cake-decorating tools, some copper molds, cookie cutters, spritz cookie gun, etc. Here's what I got this time around: I'm excited about the two spatulas.  The one is really flexible. I already have the mini spatula (from Pampered Chef ) and love it. Sometimes though when lifting things