Skip to main content

Have Brownies will Travel

Brownies packed in a tin - all ready for travel
Usually when the eldest visits from the UK or we visit her, I try to send home/bring her some baked goodies.  She was a little concerned about luggage weight this time since she was bringing back a bunch of books. I probably should have done cookies because they are lighter, but I decided to make brownies instead.  The boyfriend is a big chocolate fan too and I thought these would work. They are just ooey and gooey - the way brownies should be.  I hate brownies when they are cakey.  If you want cake, eat cake.  If you want brownies, they have to be gooey or they just aren't brownies.

I've made this recipe for brownies many times before using peppermint patties as the recipe calls for but I didn't have them. I thought perhaps I would do some chocolate chips.  But then I remembered I had some dinner mints and thought those would work.

Peppermint Brownies (adapted from Martha Stewart)

1 stick butter
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon chocolate extract (see note below)
3/4 t salt
3 eggs
1/2 c flour
1/4 c cocoa powder
25 peppermint patties

Preheat oven to 350. Line 8" square pan with foil - making a sling to easily remove brownies from pan.

Place butter and chocolate in saucepan over low flame and heat until melted.  Alternatively place butter and chocolate in a bowl in microwave and melt at half power.

Whisk in sugar and salt.  Add eggs, vanilla, and chocolate extract. Whisk in flour and cocoa.  DO NOT overmix.

Pour 1/3 of batter into foil-lined pan. Place peppermint patties (or in this case dinner mints) over batter leaving a slight border around the outside.  Cover peppermint patties with remainder of batter.

Bake for 35 minutes until set and toothpick inserted in middle is moist with some crumb. Cool in pan and then remove brownies by using the sling.  Cut into squares when completely cooled.


Unfortunately, they have changed the size of the peppermint patties bag and you need to buy 2 bags now (oh well you will have to make the sacrifice and eat the rest of the second bag).

They came out well but not peppermint enough. I think since the dinner mints are thin, I should've done two layers of mints. Still they were delicious - you know I had to sample them to make sure they were OK before sending them off.  I usually line the tin with plastic wrap and the brownies stay fresh for a few days.  A rectangular tin does work best - see eating all that peppermint bark around the holidays really paid off.  I have enough tins for many, many batches of brownies.

The original recipe does not call for vanilla. I don't know what Martha was thinking? I think the vanilla brings out the chocolate flavor more. Maybe I'm just a vanilla fanatic? But I usually put it in most baked goods even if the recipe doesn't include it.

NOTE: The best chocolate extract that I've tasted so far is from Star Kay White Extract. You can make the brownies without the chocolate extract but the chocolate extract adds just a little bit extra flavor. I generally use a little of the extract in anything that I bake that has chocolate in it. Why is it called "Chocolate Extract #18?" I don't know and what happened to the other 17?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomato Risotto

Want to build up those arm muscles.  There is no better way than to do up a good risotto. You will get tired of stirring but it is oh so worth it. Tomato Risotto 1 onion, chopped olive oil 2 clove garlic, minced 1 1/2 c Aborio Rice 1/2 c white wine 4 medium-sized tomatoes, peeled about 1 cup warm vegetable stock (may need additional) 1 t fresh oregano 1 T fresh torn basil 2 T fresh parsley salt/pepper Parmesan cheese In a dutch oven, saute chopped onion in olive oil.  Add a little salt to help the onions along.  Meanwhile prep the tomatoes. Squeeze tomatoes gently just to rid them of the seeds. You do not need to get rid of all the liquid. Chop the tomatoes into large cubes. Cook onions until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add rice and saute for a few minutes until the rice smells toasted. Gradually add white wine and stir until almost all of the wine is absorbed. Add tomatoes to the rice. Add the oregano and basil. Stirring constantly until a

New Kid on the Block

So here's a picture of the new kid on the block. Ain't she a beauty? It's a Blomberg . They are fairly new to the US. They have been around in Europe for quite a while. I really liked the design. I've been dying to have a freezer on the bottom. With the old refrigerator I would constantly lose brain cells by hitting my head on the freezer will poking around in the refrigerator. It really makes sense to have the refrigerator on top - that is where you spend most of your time. When we bought the old one, it was an emergency situation. The prior one was leaking on the floor and was no longer cooling. Fifteen years ago the freezer on the bottom was just starting to get popular but we were in no situation to wait for delivery. We had to take what they had on hand. Now the freezer on the bottom is by no means unique. What is - is this freezer's design. There are 3 compartments in the freezer. I used to have a chest freezer in the basement and everything would get los

Burnt Cinnamon Simple Syrup

The NY Times Magazine section did a piece on cocktails about two weeks ago and one was calling me- Rhum Agricole Daiquiri . What attracted me here (well besides the cocktail aspect) was the Burnt Cinnamon Simple Syrup. It was easy enough to make, as are most simple syrups, but it was the potential uses.  I started thinking not only daiquiris but why not with Applejack? Apples, burnt cinnamon sounds like a winner to me. Or how about a nice hot cider, with a little rum, and the simple syrup (Guess I'll have to wait until the fall for the cider). On the non-alcohol side-why not use it to moisten a sponge cake - wouldn't that give it an interesting flavor? Or what about a burnt cinnamon ice cream? Now first for the burning of the cinnamon - it felt a little like I was doing a cleanse to ward off evil spirits. I think that is usually done with sage but if cinnamon works too - so be it. The recipe recommended using a small creme brulee torch to burn the cinnamon sticks - like you d