Skip to main content

Flavored Sugars

I saw this recipe for flavored sugars in Cooking Light and had to try it. The possibilities are endless:  rim of glasses for cocktails, stirred into oatmeal, on top of quick breads or muffins, on toast instead of cinnamon sugar, yogurt and did I say rim of glasses for cocktails?

They do not recommend using a mini food processor.  They recommend using a spice or coffee grinder.  I have a coffee grinder but I only use it for coffee. Once the coffee oil gets in there, anything else you use the grinder for tastes like coffee.  So did I want to buy another grinder just for spices and nuts and then have to store it too? NO! So I thought I would try a little experiment.  I decided to start with strawberry first.

I used the mini prep to get it as fine as a I could and then...



put it in the mortar & pestle to finish it off.

It worked wonderfully. Mix with sugar and there you go!

I had thought I would do a couple of different flavors. The only thing is you have to wait in between batches. Once you finish grinding up the one flavor, you have to rinse it out.  It really does not dry well enough with just a quick towel dry. The fruit really becomes a powder. It will stick to any tiny amount of moisture. So you have to wait for it to finish air drying well before you do a new batch. Or if you are inpatient like me, you can get out the blow dryer.

So then I moved onto blueberry and tropical (banana, strawberry, pineapple mix). I wanted to try lime because they show you how to dry the lime peel out in the microwave. I can totally envision cocktails with a lime rim but the store didn't have organic limes.  I usually try to eat organic and in this case I especially wanted to get organic since you would be actually eating the part that would be sprayed with nasty chemicals. Well I will have to wait for the lime. But in the meantime, did I mention you could put these on the rim of glass for cocktails?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...