Skip to main content

Fish Sticks, Chips (Fries) and Carrots

Now once I get a job don't expect so many posts in one week and don't expect to see two new recipes tested out in one go. That just isn't going to happen. But it was a big cooking day (I also made bread and mayonnaise - those will be other future posts).

First out of the box was fish sticks.  Yeah, yeah I know sounds real boring but they really came out good.  This would be a real good gateway recipe to get a kid to like fish. Now I technically started out using this recipe from Cooking Light that I've had sitting around since 2011. I adapted it quite a bit. I liked the idea of the pumpkin seeds and panko but wasn't too enthralled with the rest.  Plus it uses two egg whites - ugh not those pesky left over yolks again! So I decided to just use whole eggs. How much fat are you really saving by just using the whites - not enough. Now maybe if it were warmer and I was interested in making some ice cream, those extra yolks would be worth it, but not today.

Fish Sticks (adapted from Cooking Light)

1/2 c flour
salt/pepper
2 eggs
juice from one lime
1/2 c lager
1 1/2 T dijon mustard
2 t old bay seasoning
2/3 c panko
1/3 c pumpkin seeds toasted (also called pepitas)
1/2 t chipotle pepper
1lb cod - cut into 1" wedges

Preheat oven to 425. Cover sheet pan with aluminum foil. Mix flour, salt, pepper in a shallow dish. Mix eggs, lime, mustard, and lager in another shallow bowl.  Put pumpkin seeds in food processor and pulse until coarse.  Mix pumpkin seed, panko, and pepper in a third shallow dish.

Dip fish into flour.  Shake off excess and then dip in egg mixture.  Finally dip in panko mixture. Preheat sheet pan in oven for 10 minutes. Place fish on sheet pan and bake for 8 minutes, turn fish. Bake an additional 7 minutes or when fish flakes easily when poked with a fork. (Total cook time 15 minutes). Serve with herbed mayonnaise.

Since the oven was on and I had some potatoes that were starting to grow, I decided to make some oven fries.  This recipe is so easy and so delicious - they are not greasy and taste great with Herbes de Provence. But feel free to just do salt if you don't have Herbes de Provence. Since I had the herbed mayonnaise going for the fish, I thought we would go Belgium and have fries to go with the mayonnaise too.
Make them on a silpat for easy cleaning (or I suppose you could use foil)


Then there was the carrot recipe from the New York Times a few weeks ago. These came out quite lovely.  OK Mark (Bittman) I get that you were trying to save me from having to wash another pan but putting the roasting pan over the two burners just didn't really work to well.  The olive oil pooled in the corners and I got a big dark mark in the pan in the outline of the burner. Next time I think I would just break out the cast iron pan and brown them in that.

So overall this was a pretty good meal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...