Skip to main content

Potato Gnocchi with Browned Butter and Spinach



I was watching A Moveable Feast on PBS a few weeks ago and Jonathan Waxman was on.  He made these potato gnocchi and said that he sometimes doesn't boil them.  He just throws them frozen into browned butter and cooks them that way.  He made them with fava beans, peas, and asparagus. I'm not too into the asparagus thing but I did like the idea of not boiling them. Sometimes they are such a pain to boil. I thought he might be onto a real good thing here for the summer.  You know how it is, the kitchen is about 190 degrees, you're dying for some sort of pasta dish (yeah I know gnocchi is not really pasta but OK you're dying for a real starch dish), and the thought of boiling water just makes you want to keel over right there on the spot.  What if you could just throw on some butter and cook them in that? So off I went experimenting.

Potato Gnocchi

2lbs russet potato
1-2 eggs
1/2 c flour
salt/pepper
nutmeg

Bake the potatoes. Do not boil them because that just leaves them too wet and you are going to have to put in a ton of flour. I cheated and microwaved them. Let cool a few minutes. Peel potatoes and run them through a ricer.  You can mash them but I find the ricer does a nicer job. Season potatoes with salt, pepper, and nutmeg (or other preferred seasoning).  Add 1 beaten egg. Gently toss potatoes until egg is mixed through. You may need to add all or part of the second egg depending on how dry the potatoes are. Gradually add flour. Again depending on the potatoes, you might not need all the flour. Mix until a soft dough forms.  Turn out on board and continue to gently knead.  Do not over knead or gnocchi will become tough.

Potatoes pushed through the ricer (with seasoning)
With your hands roll out a section of dough into a long rope about 3/4" thick.  Cut into 1" pieces. Using the tines of a fork press the gnocchi onto the fork while rolling it down the fork.  They should form a sort of "c" shape.  Freeze in a single layer on trays.

You can check out youtube for a demo of forming the gnocchi. There are some really awful videos on there. This was the best one I found Mary Ann Esposito - she starts forming them about 5 minutes in. This one wasn't too bad either. I saw a Gordon Ramsey one.  He just cuts them into 1" pieces and indents them with his thumb. See if I thought of it while I was doing it, I should have made a video myself.

You can also use a gnocchi board which is what I did. My forks have 3 tines and I just find they don't come out as good so I invested the $4 in a board (my punishment for the purchase is storing yet another kitchen item).

This recipe is really just a basic one. There's really not much to gnocchi - potato, egg, and flour.  I guess if you wanted to you could throw in a little olive oil. I decided to use the nutmeg because I was going to saute them with spinach.  Nutmeg always goes rather nicely with spinach.

Here's the recipe for the spinach part:

6 T butter
2 cloves garlic chopped
1/2 recipe gnocchi frozen
2 c fresh spinach
salt/pepper

Melt butter in skillet over medium flame. As the butter cooks you will see the solids cook off and it will start to turn a golden brown. Place frozen gnocchi in pan with garlic. Saute until gnocchi begin to brown slightly.  Remove from heat.  Throw spinach on top and place a lid on the skillet.  Let sit until spinach has wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

The gnocchi are very fragile.  You can only jiggle the skillet to prevent them from sticking. Do not attempt to stir the gnocchi or they will fall apart (lesson learned). I removed the remainder of the frozen gnocchi from the tray and sealed them in a zipper bag - all ready for another meal for another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

Mensa Member?

I think Mickey is a member of Mensa. We heard him last night but could not determine where he was in the kitchen (or should I say the Sous Chef could not locate him - I certainly was not looking). He had been lurking in the toaster cabinet the night before and averted the glue trap. This is absolute torture. Still no cooking going on.