Skip to main content

Burnt Cinnamon Simple Syrup

The NY Times Magazine section did a piece on cocktails about two weeks ago and one was calling me-Rhum Agricole Daiquiri. What attracted me here (well besides the cocktail aspect) was the Burnt Cinnamon Simple Syrup. It was easy enough to make, as are most simple syrups, but it was the potential uses.  I started thinking not only daiquiris but why not with Applejack? Apples, burnt cinnamon sounds like a winner to me. Or how about a nice hot cider, with a little rum, and the simple syrup (Guess I'll have to wait until the fall for the cider). On the non-alcohol side-why not use it to moisten a sponge cake - wouldn't that give it an interesting flavor? Or what about a burnt cinnamon ice cream?

Now first for the burning of the cinnamon - it felt a little like I was doing a cleanse to ward off evil spirits. I think that is usually done with sage but if cinnamon works too - so be it. The recipe recommended using a small creme brulee torch to burn the cinnamon sticks - like you do. But I don't have a small creme brulee torch and I wasn't going to ask the Sous Chef to get involved because that would inevitably involve a visit from the Fire Department with some invention he came up with down in the lab um I mean basement (He's like Grandpa Munster in that basement).  I got to thinking you can make roasted peppers by holding them over an open flame so why not a little cinnamon stick - what could possibly go wrong??  I'm happy to report there were no visits from the NYFD - I didn't even set off the smoke detector. I used a pair of tongs and burnt one cinnamon stick at a time.

One is still lit
Here's what the simple syrup looked like after the sugar was dissolved and the cinnamon added:
A little cloudy
After the 24 hour waiting and waiting and waiting...

But don't worry - it clears up
Here's what the daiquiris looked like...

Not bad but we had to use Rose's Lime Juice. I've got nothing against Rose but I think it would have been much better with fresh lime juice.  Although I've heard something about there being a lime shortage?? I've also come to the conclusion that I much prefer a Strawberry Daiquiri. However, I could see this being a really refreshing summer drink when the heat is totally horrible.

I think the cinnamon sticks I used were not the greatest quality so the flavor wasn't as pronounced as I would have liked (teach me a lesson for buying the cheap stuff). But still I was looking to experiment further...

1 oz AppleJack
1 oz Burnt Cinnamon Simple Syrup
Ice

Place in shaker. Shake. Serve over fresh ice. 

Now this one was a little on the sweet side. It's not like you're going to have more than one of these but it was rather tasty!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomato Risotto

Want to build up those arm muscles.  There is no better way than to do up a good risotto. You will get tired of stirring but it is oh so worth it. Tomato Risotto 1 onion, chopped olive oil 2 clove garlic, minced 1 1/2 c Aborio Rice 1/2 c white wine 4 medium-sized tomatoes, peeled about 1 cup warm vegetable stock (may need additional) 1 t fresh oregano 1 T fresh torn basil 2 T fresh parsley salt/pepper Parmesan cheese In a dutch oven, saute chopped onion in olive oil.  Add a little salt to help the onions along.  Meanwhile prep the tomatoes. Squeeze tomatoes gently just to rid them of the seeds. You do not need to get rid of all the liquid. Chop the tomatoes into large cubes. Cook onions until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add rice and saute for a few minutes until the rice smells toasted. Gradually add white wine and stir until almost all of the wine is absorbed. Add tomatoes to the rice. Add the oregano and basil. Stirring constantly until a

Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake

The Sous Chef is a sucker for a coffee cake. I think they're OK but add some chocolate chips and I think they're more than OK. Because of the sour cream in this recipe the cake is really moist. Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake (Adapted from a page torn from a magazine from so long ago that the paper has yellowed) Topping: 3/4 c brown sugar 3/4 c flour 3/4 t cinnamon 1/4 t salt 6 T butter, cold & cut up Cake: 2 1/4 c flour 1 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 1 stick butter 1 c sugar 2 eggs 1 t vanilla 1 c sour cream 1/2 c chocolate chips Prepare topping: In a medium bowl cut butter into dry ingredients. You want it to look like wet sand. Place in refrigerator while you prepare the cake batter. Looks like wet sand Cake: Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a mixer cream butter and sugar about 5 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla and mix well. Alternate adding sour cream and flour in thre

Blueberry Ice Cream

I bought a whole bunch of blueberries and I so happened to have some heavy cream and half and half in the refrigerator - what to do? what to do? Ice Cream - of course! Blueberry Ice Cream 2 c fresh blueberries 1/4 c sugar 2 T water pinch of cinnamon 2 c heavy cream 1 c half and half (or milk) 1/2 c sugar 3 egg yolks 2 t vanilla In a saucepan heat blueberries, water, sugar, and cinnamon until blueberries are softened. (I mashed them up a bit with a potato masher) Set aside. Meanwhile heat cream, half and half, and sugar until bubbles just start to form around the edges. Remove from heat.  Temper the egg yolks by whisking a small amount of the hot cream into the egg yolks. Add the egg yolks back to the cream mixture and heat to 160. Stir in vanilla and blueberries. Taste and add additional sugar or vanilla as needed (Remember you want it more flavorful than you think it should be). Patience - waiting 24 hours Cool saucepan in and ice bath and refrigerate for 24 hour