Skip to main content

Chicken with Mushrooms and White Wine


Sometimes I defrost chicken breasts for dinner with nothing particular in mind for them.  I poke around the refrigerator and see what's in there, look in the pantry to see what's there, and then sort of come up with dinner. This was one of those days.

 Chicken with Mushrooms and White Wine

1lb chicken breasts
salt/pepper
canola oil
8oz mushrooms (baby bello, button)
1 t herbes de Provence
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 c white wine
1/2 c heavy cream

Place chicken breasts between plastic wrap.  Sprinkle a little water on top of the chicken breasts. (the water prevents sticking so they won't tear). Pound chicken cutlets thin.  Use the Jacard meat tenderizer to tenderize the meat and prevent shrinkage.  Season one side chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Heat skillet and add oil.  When oil starts to shimmer, add chicken breasts seasoned side down.  Season the other side of the chicken breasts.  Do not crowd the pan.  You will need to cook the chicken in at least two batches. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.

Add mushrooms to pan (you may need to add additional oil) and herbes de Provence. Scrape bits of chicken from the bottom of pan as you "stir" the mushrooms. Saute mushrooms until liquid begins to come out of mushrooms.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant.  Add white wine to pan and cook until almost evaporated. Add heavy cream and heat until slightly thickened.  Put chicken back into the pan and spoon sauce over chicken.  Remove from heat when heated through.

I've also made a similar mushroom sauce and served it over pumpkin ravioli.  Instead of the herbes de Provence, I used some sage and nutmeg.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

Mensa Member?

I think Mickey is a member of Mensa. We heard him last night but could not determine where he was in the kitchen (or should I say the Sous Chef could not locate him - I certainly was not looking). He had been lurking in the toaster cabinet the night before and averted the glue trap. This is absolute torture. Still no cooking going on.