Skip to main content

Coco-Mint Mojito

I first had a Coconut Mint Mojito at this place called Havana, which was right by former work.  We just happened upon the place one day (after a long tough day) and I tried their Mojito.  They had several different kinds but I thought the coconut one sounded best. It was absolutely delicious. Since then I've been wanting to try to make them myself.  I did some investigation on the webby, web and found a few possibilities here and here. So off I went experimenting...

Sorry the first one was drank before I could take a photo.  See this was all that was left...



Judging by the empty glass, we got it right on the first try!

But here's a pic of the second batch.

Here's the recipe:

Coco-Mint Mojito (makes two or one large one)

4 T confectioners sugar
15 mint leaves (preferably spearmint)
juice of 1 lime
4 oz Malibu Rum
4 oz coconut milk
seltzer
ice

Muddle the mint leaves and the sugar together in a cocktail shaker. You can use an official muddler or the handle of a wooden spoon (we chose option 2).  Add the lime and rum.  Shake. Fill shaker halfway up with ice. Add the coconut and shake.  Strain into serving glasses and top off with seltzer. Top with a sprig of mint if you want to get all fancy pantsy (but you might not want to waste your mint on fancy stuff-you will probably want to save it for additional batches).

I think you could also use a simple syrup instead of the confectioner's sugar. I would start with 2T and see how it goes. Simple syrup is very simple to make (hence the name). You take equal amounts of sugar and water.  Heat them until the sugar has dissolved.  Cool and then store in the refrigerator.  Simple syrup is handy to have around for cocktails. But it is also nice to have around to moisten cake with.  You can even add a little flavoring to the simple syrup such as vanilla, Chambord, Contrieu etc depending on the type of cake you are flavoring.

Now I could definitely see this as a drink that we will be drinking this summer.  Thank goodness our drinking will be limited by the amount of mint that our garden will produce or this might be very dangerous! And thank goodness the lime shortage seems to be over as I was able to purchase a whole bag of them this past week without breaking the bank.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...