Skip to main content

Pad Thai


Pad Thai is such a flavorful dish.  When I first got Simply Thai Cooking (I have the second edition), I wasn't sure if I would make many of the recipes. They really have a lot of ingredients but actually they are pretty simple to make.  I adapted this recipe by omitting the chicken breast and shrimp. I only used tofu. I've also made it with just chicken. The tamarind paste may be a little difficult to source but it stays for quite a long time in the refrigerator once you find it.

Pad Thai (Adapted from Simply Thai Cooking)

8 oz Thai rice noodles
16 oz tofu, extra firm 
3 T tamarind paste (concentrate)
1/4 c warm water
6 T roasted unsalted peanuts
3 green onions, chopped
3 T fish sauce
2 T lime juice
2 T sugar
1/2 c canola oil
1 t garlic, chopped
2 eggs
1 c bean sprouts
1/2 t chili flakes
Fresh cilantro
Lime wedges

Soak rice noodles in cold water for at least 1 hour.  Place tofu on folded paper towels, place two folded paper towels on top.  Put a plate on top of the paper towels and a heavy object on top of plate. Replace paper towels when soaked.  Let tofu drain for at least 30 minutes. (I usually start soaking the noodles and drying out the tofu at the same time).

Meanwhile start preparing other items.  Mix tamarind paste with warm water. Stir in fish sauce, lime juice, and dissolve sugar. Set aside. Rough chop peanuts and set aside. Chop green onions and set aside. 

Make sure you have all of your ingredients prepared before starting to cook. This moves fast once the cooking begins.  Slice the tofu into 3/4 inch cubes.  Heat oil in wok until it starts to smoke.  Stir fry tofu until starting to brown. Add garlic and cook for a few seconds.  Break eggs into wok and let them fry without breaking them up for about 1 minute. Meanwhile drain noodles.

Remove tofu and eggs from the wok and set aside.  Add noodles to wok. Before doing this you may need to add a little additional oil.  Stir fry noodles for about 1 minute.  Add tamarind mixture.  Sort of fold over the noodles to mix in the tamarind mixture. Add tofu back to wok and continue to stir fry.  Add bean sprouts and about 2/3 of the peanuts.  Add green onions and stir.

Remove from heat. Transfer noodles to serving dishes and top with cilantro and remainder of peanuts. Serve with lime wedges on the side.

PREP PREP PREP!

I know this may look very involved but it really goes very quickly. Just have everything prepped and it will go smoothly.  I have all the ingredients ready above except the tofu is not cut yet. They didn't have bean sprouts at the store. I did miss them a little.

There are many other recipes that I want to try in this cookbook but this one is so good that I keep making it and haven't gotten to try the others!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...