Skip to main content

Smokey Corn on the Cob en le papier d'aluminium

HAPPY 4th of JULY!!

Now I had planned on doing this fantabulous cake to bring to my Aunt and Uncle's for today but what a disaster. It looks like a regular cake and then when you cut it, it looks like a flag. How cool is that?? Not very it turns out. Well I will post the long sad story about that tomorrow. Instead, I'll give you something that is also appropriate for the 4th - what goes better with that barbecued chicken, hamburger, and hot dog but corn on the cob!

Smokey corn on the cob en le papier d'aluminium- Yeah I know I've used that line before. But when you have a good thing going with aluminum foil, it's difficult to resist. Sometimes I don't feel like doing corn on the cob in the husks. It is tasty, but the whole soaking so the husks don't burn is too much sometimes. I've come up with this solution.

Smokey Corn on the Cob

4 corn on the cob
4T butter
smokey paprika
salt/pepper

Tear off 4 pieces of aluminum foil. Cut 1/2T of butter into thin pieces and place on each piece of foil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and smokey paprika.  Place corn on foil.


Again cut 1/2T of butter into small pieces and place on top of corn.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and smokey paprika. Grill on hot grill for about 10 minutes.

It may not look charred but it is really delicious.  The foil steams the flavor into the corn. It's quick and easy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...