Skip to main content

Three-Grain Salad


This is another great summer salad.  The only bad part is that you are cooking the grains for nearly an hour and boy does that heat up your kitchen! I found this in my recipe file - another one patiently waiting to be tried (I'm sure some of those recipes are not too patiently waiting - some have been in there a long time).

I'm not even sure where I got this one from. I photocopied it so I guess I borrowed the book from someone. I have a few other recipes that look similar. If you know the book, please let me know so that I can give credit. It is a spiral-bound book - if that helps at all?

Three-Grain Salad
(Adapted from some recipe book??)

5 1/2 c water
1 c wheat berries
1/3 c brown rice
1/2 c hulled or pearl barley
1/3 c dried cranberries
1/4 c diced carrot
1/4 c diced celery (peeled before diced)
1 medium apple, unpeeled chopped
parsley, chopped

Dressing
1/3 c sugar
1/3 c olive oil
1/3 c white balsamic vinegar
2 t Worcestershire sauce
2 T shallots
2 cloves, garlic
salt/pepper

In a large pot, heat water and wheat berries to boiling.  Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.  Add brown rice and barley.  Cover and cook for about 50 minutes until grains are tender.  Check to make sure that all the water has not boiled away at about 40 minutes or so - add more water if necessary.

Meanwhile in a serving bowl, mix remaining ingredients except the apples.  To make the dressing, take garlic cloves and smash them with the side of the knife. Add some salt continue mixing until a paste forms.  Add to the remaining dressing ingredients. Whisk dressing ingredients together.  When grains are tender, mix them in with the other ingredients. Add apples. Pour dressing over salad.  Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.

I have to say I thought this was entirely too much sugar so I held off some at first. In the end, I added all of it. Luckily I made this on a day that was not blistering hot. It is a nice refreshing salad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...