Skip to main content

Chili


Sometimes when I have a bunch of vegetables around, I make vegetarian chili (I know sacrilegious). Some would not consider this chili - well whatever you would like to call it, it tastes pretty darn good. I know some people are very strict about what they consider chili and recipes can be quite elaborate but this one is not. Most of the ingredients are things that you would have on hand except maybe the mushrooms. I also make a wicked vegetarian taco but alas that is for a different day.

Vegetarian Chili

1 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, small dice
1 T olive oil
8oz mushrooms (cremini or portabello)
1 T cocoa powder
1 t cumin
1/2 t ancho
1/2 t chili powder (I'm a wimp I know)
1lb 28oz can of whole tomatoes
1lb kidney beans (or cannellini)
cheese for serving (cheddar, Monterey jack)

Saute onion and carrot with olive oil in a dutch oven. Add a little salt to help it along. Saute until onions start to brown. Meanwhile cut mushrooms into medium size chunks. Increase heat and add mushrooms. Saute until the mushrooms start to release their liquid. Add cocoa powder, ancho, and chili powder. Saute for a few seconds.

Add the tomatoes and break them up with the spoon. Cook for about 8-10 minutes to soften the tomatoes and cook off some of the liquid. Add beans and cook until heated through. Serve with grated cheese.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

Mensa Member?

I think Mickey is a member of Mensa. We heard him last night but could not determine where he was in the kitchen (or should I say the Sous Chef could not locate him - I certainly was not looking). He had been lurking in the toaster cabinet the night before and averted the glue trap. This is absolute torture. Still no cooking going on.