Skip to main content

Lemonade Cake


So I made cream cheese again. Boy does that make a lot of cream cheese. I needed to figure out a way to use some of it up. Well this was one way. I have to say the homemade cream cheese is a little thinner than the store-bought stuff. Probably because they have stabilizers in theirs. I found that I used less sugar than the 2 1/2 cups for the frosting. I don't know if that was because the homemade has a very good flavor and it didn't need the additional sugar.

The directions for this cake were not that clear or I just didn't read carefully enough (probably the latter). But I mixed all the liquid ingredients sugar and butter then tried to mix them. What a mess. I thought it was a rather strange direction. In order to save the recipe, I ended up straining out the liquid and trying to beat the butter until smooth. UGH - like I said a total mess. I ended up with some pretty large tunnels in the cake and I'm assuming this was the result of the error of my ways. Hopefully I've made the directions a little clearer or you will just pay attention unlike me ;-) It was a rather tasty lemon cake - mistakes aside. I do admit, however, there were a lot of dirty bowls with this recipe.

Lemonade Cake (adapted from Cooking Light)

2 3/4 c cake flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
7 oz Greek Yogurt
1/2c milk
1 c sugar
5 T butter
3 T canola oil
1 T lemon zest
3 eggs (separated)
1/8 t cream of tartar

Lemonade syrup:
1/4 c sugar
2 T lemon juice
2 T lemon sections, finely chopped
2 T lemon zest

Frosting:
8 oz cream cheese, chilled
2 t lemon zest
1 T lemon juice
2 1/2 c confectioner's sugar

Grease 2 9" cake pans. Line the bottoms with parchment or us a silicon round. Set aside

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and mix with a whisk. Set aside.
Combine milk and yogurt and set aside.

In a mixer, place sugar, butter and oil and mix until light and fluffy 3-5 minutes. Add the egg yolks one at a time. Beating well after each addition. Add the lemon zest. Add flour and milk mixture alternately to the butter mixture, ending with flour. Do not overmix.

Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a different bowl and beat until medium peaks form. Gently fold batter into the egg whites. Divide evenly in pans and bake at 350 for 20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.  Meanwhile combine ingredients for lemon syrup. Heat mixture in microwave until mixture boils; stirring to help the sugar dissolve.

Cool in pans for 10 minutes and remove and cool on wire racks. Pierce the cake with toothpick and brush syrup over cake. Until completely absorbed.

Place chilled cream cheese, lemon zest, juice and beat in mixer until combined. Gradually add powdered sugar. (I only used 2 c of sugar). Do not overmix. Place cake on serving plate. Spread half of the frosting on the cake and then place the second layer on top. Spread frosting over the remaining layer. Refrigerate.
See those tunnels! UGH!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...