Skip to main content

Bannana Chocolate Cake

Well I told you I had a lot of cream cheese. There was no other choice but to make another cake. I had already made the baked pierogies. That only used 1/3 c but they were delicious. I must plan better next time when I made homemade cream cheese. Well I had some bananas that were getting a little past their prime...


Banana Chocolate Cake (adapted from JoyofBaking)
(with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting adapted from my brain)

2 c sugar
1 3/4 c flour
3/4 c cocoa powder
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 eggs
1 c mashed ripe bananas (about 2)
1 1/2 c milk
1/2 c canola oil
1 1/2 t vanilla
1 t chocolate extract (optional)

Frosting
1 1/2 c cream cheese
1 1/2 c chocolate chips (bittersweet or semi)
1 t vanilla
1 t chocolate extract

Grease a 9x13 pan. Set aside. In a large bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients. In another bowl mash the bananas. Add the eggs, milk, oil, and extracts. Whisk together.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk until combined. Pour into pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes until toothpick poked in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Do not attempt to ice the cake until completely cool.

Meanwhile set out the cream cheese to come to room temperature.  Melt the chocolate in the microwave. First putting it in for about 45 seconds on half power. Stir and put back in for about another 15-20 seconds until melted and smooth.  Set aside to cool until it is room temperature.  You need both the cream cheese and chocolate to be the same temperature or it will not mix and will be lumpy. Stir the vanilla and chocolate extract into the cream cheese. Add about a heaping T to of the cream cheese to the chocolate and mix well. Continue adding about a 1/4 cup in at a time and mixing well after each addition.  Ice cake and refrigerate.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...