Skip to main content

2014 in Review (Part 2)

So we left off in June. Let's see what the rest of 2014 brought:

July
So what was going on in July? There was basic Vinaigrette, Strawberry Whipped Cream Cake, and Smokey Corn on the cob.

August 
There was Chocolate Creme de Menthe cake that happened by accident, Whipped Cream Pound Cake, and Chocolate Mud Cake. But don't think that August was only about cakes there was also homemade Mozzarella 


September
This month there was homemade pasta, and garden tomato and cream pasta, and it wasn't just about carbs, there was zucchini quiche too.

October
There was toasted pepitas, homemade creme fraiche, and how can we forget the whole sauerkraut episode, but the banana chocolate cake cheered us up - didn't it? as did the vacuum sealer.

November
We were thankful that the sauerkraut finally turned out well, and that there were Parker House Rolls, we were especially thankful for the new kid on the block, as well as the Chocolate Crinkle Cookies and that everything turned out well for Thanksgiving.

December
Then not so long ago we ate our home grown lemons,  went down memory lane with tuna casserole, ate aniseed meringues, learned how to cut up a whole chicken, and lamented the fact that I didn't get a puppy but was cheered by the Sous Vide.
Well let's see what 2015 brings (and let's hope there's a puppy somewhere in there!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...