Skip to main content

Spaghetti con il Tonno

I was looking for a quick cook pasta recipe and came across this one in The Silver Spoon. It's one of those recipes that you basically always have the ingredients on hand. I always hate when a recipe calls for some weirdo amount of pasta like this one - 12oz. What's up with that? What am I doing with the other 6 oz? I always make the full pound of pasta.  Otherwise you would end up with a hodgepodge of pasta sitting around. Doesn't make sense. But I digress...

Spaghetti with Tuna (Adapted from The Silver Spoon)

3 T olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can tuna, packed in oil, drained and flaked*
3 T tomato paste**
4T water
1lb spaghetti
salt/pepper
Fresh Parsley chopped

Heat the oil in a skillet and cook the garlic. Do not let the garlic brown. Add the tuna and mix well.  Stir the water into the tomato paste (you may need to add a little more water - you want a loose pudding-like consistency). Cook over low heat for 15 minutes.  Meanwhile cook spaghetti in salted water until al dente. Season the tuna/tomato with salt and pepper to taste. Add spaghetti to pan and stir to combine. Add parsley.

Don't skimp on the fresh parsley - it really adds a lot to the dish.

*Tuna used to come in 6 oz cans - now it comes in some crazy 5.something or other ounce - use that size.  The original recipes called for 2.5 oz - once again what do I do with the rest? Besides 2.5oz of tuna to 12oz of pasta=not enough tuna to pasta ratio!

**Now I know I've been complaining about the leftover tuna and pasta but I have a solution for the left over tomato paste.  I freeze the rest in tablespoon increments in a snack-size zipper bag.  You can fit about 3 T to each bag. This way when you get one of these recipes when you only need a tablespoon or two you have it at the ready.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...