Skip to main content

Why did I have to clean my oven?

Pasteis de Nata (Portuguese Custard Tarts)
Well I had to clean my oven because I made these Pasteis de Nata. They were well worth the clean though. It all started because my eldest sent me a picture of them from Portugal (trying to make me jealous - which she succeeded). They looked so delicious that I had to look for a recipe to see how they were made.  You make your own puff pastry, let the dough chill, press the dough into cupcake tins, pour in the custard and bake.  That last baking part is what led to the dirty oven.  The dough was so buttery (which is what makes them so delicious), that it began to ooze out of the dough. Well you know once it starts oozing, it goes all over the bottom of the oven, then there is a LOT of smoke, and thoughts that the oven might be on fire, and then a whole big mess to clean up. Did I mention there was a lot of smoke. I mean a real lot of smoke! Would I do it all again?? HELL YES!
I did a raggedy rectangle roll out of about 21x18. You spread the butter on the left side and then...


you fold the dough in thirds like a letter (do you remember letters?)

After 3 "turns" of the dough, you roll the dough up

I did a few things different from the recipe. I didn't have whole milk for the custard.  I used 1/2 c milk and 1/2 c heavy cream instead. I used just skim milk to mix with the flour. I used regular size cupcake tins instead of the minis. Sorry I'm too greedy to go for those little minis in this case.  I also think that pushing the dough into those little tins would be tedious. I cut the dough into 20 pieces. Since I used the regular size cupcakes, I preheated the oven to 500 and then turned it down to 475 when I put the Pasteis de Nata in the oven.  They baked for about 15 minutes total. Now I didn't get those gorgeous little scorch marks on all of them, but that could be because of the lower heat I used. I turned the oven temperature down because I knew they would need to cook longer than the minis and was afraid that the high heat would've burned the bottoms as some others commented.
Pre-oven mess

Patience, Patience, waiting for them to cool

These were quite lovely custard tarts.  I now know why Lionel from As Time Goes By is always going on about those custard tarts and gets quite huffy when he thinks someone has eaten them all.  I would definitely get mad if someone ate my last custard tart. These would also be quite nice if you added a little lemon to them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

Mensa Member?

I think Mickey is a member of Mensa. We heard him last night but could not determine where he was in the kitchen (or should I say the Sous Chef could not locate him - I certainly was not looking). He had been lurking in the toaster cabinet the night before and averted the glue trap. This is absolute torture. Still no cooking going on.