Skip to main content

Carrot & Zucchini Ribbon Pasta

Yes we're still playing around with zucchini here.  I hadn't made this recipe for a long time and forgot how quick and easy and delicious it is.

Carrot & Zucchini Ribbon Pasta (Adapted from 365 Ways to Cook Pasta)

4 large carrots
1 zucchini
1 stick butter
3 cloves garlic
basil
parsley
salt/pepper
Shave Parmesan
1 lb pasta (fettuccine works well)

Boil water for pasta. Meanwhile create ribbons out of the carrots by peeling the carrot the entire length.  At some point the carrot will either break or you will not be able to get any further ribbons (these are snacks for the chef).  Create ribbons peeling the zucchini but stop when you reach the seeds, turn zucchini, and continue until all you have left is the center (this is not a snack for the chef - this is for the compost pile).

While pasta is cooking, melt butter in large skillet.  Add garlic and cook until you start to smell it. Add zucchini and carrot. Add basil.  Using tongs, gently turn and cook until tender. Add salt/pepper.  Place pasta on serving platter and add ribbons - gently tossing.  Garnish with parsley and Parmesan.


I've made this with other pasta - ridged penne but I think it works best with fettuccine.  It is a very colorful dish and comes together quite quickly. It is a good weeknight meal.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

Mensa Member?

I think Mickey is a member of Mensa. We heard him last night but could not determine where he was in the kitchen (or should I say the Sous Chef could not locate him - I certainly was not looking). He had been lurking in the toaster cabinet the night before and averted the glue trap. This is absolute torture. Still no cooking going on.