Skip to main content

Peachy Cake

Just happened upon this recipe and I had some peaches that I bought recently and figured why not?

Peachy Cake (adapted from Food 52)

3 ripe peaches
3/4 t freshly ground nutmeg
1 t cinnamon
1 c sugar
6 T butter
1 egg
1/2 c buttermilk
1 t vanilla
1/4 t almond extract
1 c flour
1/2 c almond meal (ground almonds)
1 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
3T Turbinado Sugar (Raw sugar)

Grease and flour a 9" round pan. Set aside.  Cut peaches into bite-sized pieces. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and 2 T of the sugar.  Set aside. Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

Cream butter and sugar together in mixer.  Add the egg, buttermilk, vanilla, and almond extract. Mix until combined. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined. Pour into pan.  Spoon peaches over the batter, lightly pressing them into the batter. Sprinkle Turbinado sugar over peaches.

Bake at 350 for 10 minutes; then reduce oven to 325 and bake another 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool on rack for 10 minutes and then remove from pan.

There's no need to peel the peaches. I had thought about doing that but was a bit lazy and didn't. You couldn't tell. This cake came together quite quickly. A little whipped cream would go quite nicely with this or even a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream.  I opted out on that since it seems strangely that my clothes have been shrinking lately in the wash??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...