Skip to main content

Two-Potato Gratin

Now this may be a little bit of work but most of the real work happens in the oven. While that's going on, you can clean all the pans you used, which I must admit there are quite a few. It is quite colorful looking - rather than that pale looking regular potato gratin.

Two-Potato Gratin (Adapted from Cooking Light)

2 medium baking potato, peeled and sliced 1/4" thick
2 medium sweet potato, peeled and sliced 1/4" thick
2 quarts chicken stock
2 T oil
3 green onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 T fresh thyme
3 T flour
1 1/2 c milk
1 c chicken stock (reserved from potato liquid)
salt/pepper
3 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
1 oz (1/4 c) Parmesan Cheese

Place potatoes in a stockpot with chicken stock. Bring to a boil and cook for 4 minutes.

Meanwhile in a saucepan heat oil and green onions. Saute until softened, add garlic and thyme. Cook until fragrant. Whisk in flour and cook for about 3 minutes. Gradually add milk; whisking constantly. 

Remove potatoes from water and spread out on baking sheet. Add 1 c of the chicken stock to the milk mixture and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and add cheese.

Grease a 2 qt casserole dish. Pour a thin layer of the milk into the bottom of the dish. Place a layer of white potatoes on the bottom. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Next place a layer of sweet potato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Shingle the next layer alternating potatoes. Pour milk mixture over the potatoes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Place under broiler to brown the top.

I left off the Parmesan cheese. It was good without it but in retrospect, it would have added a little more color and taste. This is not a super heavy potato gratin. It does taste rich but it's not artery-clogging rich.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...