Skip to main content

Pulled Pork

So this was a happy mistake. I decided to make some pulled pork and when I was food shopping some pork belly caught my eye. I decided to buy that too. Since I was going to have the oven on for a whole bunch of hours for the pulled pork - why not throw some pork belly into the mix for future use. Well I'll tell you why not - they cook at different temperatures! So I decided to give the pulled pork a try in the pressure cooker. Let me tell you the results were great (the pictures - not so much). The pork belly came out well and is sitting in the freezer for a nice rainy day.

I'm going to give directions for both the oven version and the pressure cooker version for the pulled pork. But I do think I'll be sticking with the pressure cooker version for now on.

Pulled Pork

4lb boneless pork butt(or pork shoulder)*
3 T brown sugar
2 T smokey paprika
2 T dry mustard
2 T cumin
salt/pepper
1 c water (if using pressure cooker)
1/4 c vinegar (if using pressure cooker)

It's best if the rub gets a little quality time with the pork. Mix the dry ingredients together in a small bowl. Rub into the pork and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to overnight.

Pressure Cooker Directions:
Cut the pork into 4 even pieces. Pour water and vinegar into the bottom of the pressure cooker. Add pork. Bring up to pressure (high if you have a choice) and cook for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes. Release remaining pressure.

Oven Directions:
Place pork in roasting pan and bake at 350 for 4-5 hours or until tender.

Remove pork from cooking vessel. Shred pork using two forks. Serve with barbecue sauce on a soft roll.

I needed to adapt and I seemed to have some Parker House Rolls hanging around. So I made little mini-sandwiches.


*After doing a little research I discovered that pork butt and pork shoulder are pretty much the same thing and cooked the same way. The pork butt just comes with netting to hold it together. I removed the netting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...