Skip to main content

Aruba Cocktails


We just got back from Aruba (see you didn't even know I left did you?). The food there is just absolutely delicious.  We ate at a Belgium place, Italian, and French.  We really did absolutely nothing and it was wonderful.  The Sous Chef wanted to take a surf lesson but "surf wasn't up." We were going to go to the natural pool but it was a four-hour tour and we didn't want to commit ourselves so we just went to the beach.  I read 4 books - doesn't sound too impressive until I tell you that one was a 600 pager. The Sous Chef was also asked if he wanted his hair braided - he declined. But we did spend some time sampling the different cocktails...

First I had to have the obligatory Malibu and Coke
Then I tried a Caribbean Sunrise - Malibu, Melon Liqueur, OJ & Cranberry

Then it was a Fudge Brownie Martini. I don't really know why they called it a martini as there was no gin in it but it was very chocolately.  Baileys, Chambord, Cocoa Liqueur, and chocolate syrup.

 A little Chambord straight up never hurt anyone either.
And how could I pass up a Mint Mojito?


Not one Pina Coloada in the lot. The Sous Chef also had a Malibu Bay Breeze, Gin & Tonic, and some of the local and imported (Belgium) beers. I will definitely be trying to recreate the Fudge Brownie Martini. Although with the chocolate sauce, it is so rich, I don't know how many of them you can actually drink. Two was my limit in Aruba.

And we did have dinner with an ood

This was the light on the table - sorry but it looks like an ood to me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...