Skip to main content

Pesto in a Flash

Now that the basil is starting to take off in the garden, it's pesto time. Pesto is such a great summer dish - the only bad part is boiling the pasta. It heats the kitchen up so much. But it's well worth it. You will notice that there really is not a strict recipe here (your are very observant). It's a matter of putting the ingredients together and tasting.
It's spinach tortellini-the pesto didn't make the pasta THAT green!

Pesto in a Flash

1/4 c pine nuts*
2 glove garlic - rough chop
about 1 c fresh basil
about 1/4 c fresh parsley
about 1 c Parmesan or Romano cheese grated
Olive Oil
Salt/Pepper

Lightly toast pine nuts in a skillet. Remove from pan and let cool. Place a small amount of olive oil in pan and cook garlic until fragrant. Remove from pan and let cool.  Place basil, parsley, pine, and pine nuts in food processor. Pulse until rough chopped.  Add cheese and pulse.  Pour about 1/4-1/2 c olive oil into food processor and pulse. Taste. Add salt and pepper and additional olive oil to loosen to the desired consistency.

I know many recipes call for drizzling in the olive oil while the food processor is running. While this does amalgamate the ingredients better like a vinaigrette, I prefer the pesto chunky.

I know toasting the pine nuts and garlic is also contributing to the heat in the kitchen but I prefer to toast the pine nuts because it increases their flavor. Since pine nuts are really expensive, it's nice to try to get as much flavor out of them as possible so that you can use a little less. I also prefer to saute the garlic. Hey the pan is dirty already. Sometimes raw garlic is just too strong and overpowers the other flavors.  By sauteing it, it mellows out a bit.

*Make sure you buy good quality pine nuts.  There is something called Pine Nut Syndrome. I first read about it on David Lebovitz's blog. Then one of the docs I worked with had the same problem. He had been eating some pignoli cookies and after that everything just tasted awful - it's a metallic taste.  It lasts for about a week. So be careful where you buy your pine nuts from.  Make sure that it is somewhere reputable. I just looked in Trader Joe's and they have the warning right on the label. So I passed on those pine nuts because I'm assuming that they were not from a reliable source if they have the warning on the label.  Also, they looked a little small to be pine nuts so I assumed they were the "fake" pine nuts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...